INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BSOD on Windows 7  (Read 3806 times)

eastmarw

• Dream On Alice, This Ain't Wonderland
BSOD on Windows 7
« on: November 26, 2009, 05:31:21 pm »

I installed v14 today and upgraded my v13 license on the new laptop with windows 7.  After about 30 seconds of opening MediaCenter 14 it BSOD's.  Wasn't sure if this was truly at fault so I restarted and then went into MediaCenter 14.  After about 1 mintue a BSOD.  I am going to do a repair of install.  Is anyone else getting this?
Dream On Alice, This Ain't Wonderland

eastmarw

Re: BSOD on Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 05:52:42 pm »

Well a re-install without removing first.  I didn't BSOD but I had Mediacenter minimized and was on the internet searching for anyone else who might have seen this, and this time IE would shut down and then the system would lock up hard with a powerdown was the only remedy.

Restart and remove JRiver v14, and I'm back to having a happy Windows 7 installation.  I'll check registry for any remaing traces of v14 and then do another installation to see if this works.

eastmarw

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 06:26:41 pm »

OK,  Another update,  After a clean installation of Mediacenter 14, it appears to be the import that is causing the issue.  If I stop the import the system doesn't APPEAR to lockup.  If I perform an import of just one directory of MP3, Mediacenter will shut down with an application error.  Each time I would perform an import the application would halt.  This appears to a J River issue.  I ran 13 with no problems on Vista (same laptop) but not on Windows 7.  And before I get asked this is not an upgraded install it is a fresh installation of Windows 7 Professional.

Currently running the most UpToDate version available from J River 14.0.96
Windows 7 with all the update that are available.

Faulting application name: svchost.exe_WinDefend, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc3c1
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000006bc8094
Faulting process id: 0x150
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca6ef2bc33e110
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: f2639830-dae9-11de-9b58-001b24de86ca

Faulting application name: Media Center 14.exe, version: 14.0.96.0, time stamp: 0x4af8a087
Faulting module name: Media Center 14.exe, version: 14.0.96.0, time stamp: 0x4af8a087
Fault offset: 0x00072507
Faulting process id: 0xedc
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca6ef592cac6b0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 14\Media Center 14.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 14\Media Center 14.exe
Report Id: efe0e4f0-dae9-11de-9b58-001b24de86ca

Faulting application name: Media Center 14.exe, version: 14.0.96.0, time stamp: 0x4af8a087
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdb3b
Fault offset: 0x00033913
Faulting process id: 0x10d8
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca6ef6b8ed5c30
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 14\Media Center 14.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 0b3990d0-daea-11de-9b58-001b24de86ca

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:46:51 pm »

A blue screen is a hardware problem.  Try updating your video driver. 

eastmarw

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 03:20:41 pm »

Well I really do disagree with you.  BSOD are NOT ALWAYS HARDWARE.  It could be the driver, it could be the software that access's the Driver to access the hardware.  So before you say it is a hardware problem take into consideration that this issue started when Mediacenter 14 was installed.  No BSOD before this time.  If I never open Mediacenter 14 then I have no issues.  The minute I open MC14 is when the issues start.  So when it comes down to it Mediacenter is the problem.  It was introduced when MC14 was installed.

I read posts continuously from not only here but on other forums where instead of helping as the is a "Support" forum you automatically jump to conclusions as most technical support individuals do.  Believe me I am one of these individuals who have to deal with all levels of Technical expertise in my profession as a systems engineer.  I don't develop software but I do support it and work with it daily.

So lets start with something that is more tangible than "it's your hardware, update your video driver".  I've done a hell of alot to troubleshooting this issue including any driver updates if available and so far it points to Mediacenter as you can tell by me updating posts.  I even gone as far as installing the M$ debugging tools to try to determine the dmp file.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 03:35:49 pm »

.96 is not the most current version, .101 is.

A 0xc0000005 is most often a corrupt/incorrect driver.  At least msft says that is is some 80% of the time.  You're not running a Vista driver on Win7 or a 32 bit driver on x64 are you?  Have you bothered to take the advice of trying to first delete, then reinstall your video drivers?

Touting your ever-so-impressive credentials as a 'systems engineer' is not the best way to get support from the community here.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:34:26 am »

Well I really do disagree with you.  BSOD are NOT ALWAYS HARDWARE.  It could be the driver, it could be the software that access's the Driver to access the hardware.  So before you say it is a hardware problem take into consideration that this issue started when Mediacenter 14 was installed.  No BSOD before this time.  If I never open Mediacenter 14 then I have no issues.  The minute I open MC14 is when the issues start.  So when it comes down to it Mediacenter is the problem.  It was introduced when MC14 was installed.

It is quite likely that MC is using your hardware in ways that other software on your system may not (especially if your aren't a gamer and don't run GPU accelerated applications), so it may be exposing a problem that you wouldn't see in other software.  As newsposter indicated, though, a 0xc0000005 BSOD is almost always a Driver issue.  Specifically, it is a memory access violation.  In addition to drivers (or a hardware problem, like loose memory DIMMs) it could also be:

1. Anti-Virus software.
2. Third-party firewall software or network filtering software of some kind.
3. A bad codec or filter in DirectShow that fails when a certain media file is accessed.

I have also seen a number of reports of Windows 7 crashes, specifically in Windows Defender (svchost.exe_WinDefend), that started with the most recent automatic updates of Windows 7 that came out in November.  It could possibly be a virus/worm.  The faulting module "unknown" makes me suspicious.

Lastly, it could certainly be a hardware problem.  I'd suggest running a pass in Memtest86+ just to eliminate that possibility.

For the record, though... I have not had similar issues with MC14 on any of my many Windows 7 installations.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tizul91

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 07:31:55 am »

.96 is not the most current version, .101 is.

A 0xc0000005 is most often a corrupt/incorrect driver.  At least msft says that is is some 80% of the time.  You're not running a Vista driver on Win7 or a 32 bit driver on x64 are you?  Have you bothered to take the advice of trying to first delete, then reinstall your video drivers?

Touting your ever-so-impressive credentials as a 'systems engineer' is not the best way to get support from the community here.

Hello, I'm curious about the kind of support JRiver offers to it's customers.
Are the customers entitled to receive official support from the supplier? If so, is it exclusively from this Forum ?

I have a similar problem ** with Windows 7 (32 bit) and I would like to report it.

Thanks for response(s).

** Event = APPCRASH
Version : MC 14.0.130 to 165
Module: netdll.dll
Exception code : c0000005
No blue screen though.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 07:41:32 am »

I posted above.  I'm official JRiver.  Blue screens are not MC problems.

See the link called "Stability" in my signature for ideas.

Check for driver updates.  Especially video and network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up