INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Files  (Read 772 times)

bcbc

Moving Files
« on: July 04, 2002, 10:37:55 am »

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the best way to play then move downloaded files around without disturbing the "Playing Now" list in MJ.

I download files to a temp folder where I like to play them and decide if they're keepers or not. I then move the keepers to "My Music" after renaming the file to my convention "artist - title". So all my tracks are alpha by artist in the Windows XP folder outside of MJ.

Another problem is that when I play the track from the temp file it creates an alias in MJ, which is a broken link after I delete or move the file. How can I cure that?

Also, when I play a track in MJ from the temp folder MJ scraps the playlist and I lose the play position in the shuffled list. So I can't go back and pick up the playlist where I left off. Is there any way to do this?

I'd like to hear the songs that have yet to play in the playlist after I've auditioned and transferred the downloaded files.

I would also like ideas on the best practice to import the new files to MJ.

Thanks for the help.

shelly

RE:Moving Files
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2002, 11:32:53 am »

bcbc,

You'll probably get lots of different answers to your questions, as MJ allows much flexibility.  But this is how I manage importing and moving files.  In Options, General, Importing and Tagging, I have automatic import turned off.  That way I can play my files from a temp folder and not be concerned about the files importing into MJ at that point.  I then use Windows Explorer to select those files I wish to keep and import them to MJ.  I don't change directories prior to importing, because I think it's quicker and easier to do that in MJ once they are imported.  I then do all of my tag editing from within MJ.  I personally don't care what properties are displayed by Explorer, as I don't return to it again for library management purposes. After doing all of my tag editing and saving the file, I right click on the name, select Move, then pick the directory of my choosing.  What's great about doing the move from within MJ, is that your library is updated and the file moved at the same time.  I usually keep the file location field visible so that I can easily double check that I've moved the file correctly.  Hoped this has helped a little.  

Shelly

shelly

RE:Moving Files
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 11:32:55 am »

Oops
Pages: [1]   Go Up