INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I remove/clear tags from the library  (Read 4554 times)

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
How do I remove/clear tags from the library
« on: November 21, 2009, 12:43:06 am »

Hi,
   I have a set of tags (some standard, some custom) set for a movie file and I want to clear them out.  How do I do this.

I thought Remove Tags would, but no - aparently that removes the tags from the file - (grumpy comment follows...  not very inuitive I must say, and of no use for a video file.)

I deleted the file from the MC library, deleted the sidecar file and reimported the file, but presto, the tags are still there! It's too smart for me.

So, how do I clear the darn Tag fields for a movie file (.avi) from MC ?

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: How do I remove/clear tags the library
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:48:37 pm »

Come on guys, I am sure this must be an easy one. Is it really that hard to remove tags for a movie file from the library?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 09:33:22 am »

You can clear a field by editing it and setting it to blank.  You can do any number of files at once.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:02:45 pm »

Thanks for the reply Matt.

Your reply appears to indicate that there is no method to set the library database fields to blank other than to manually change each one.

Let's say I have a number of movies, with 20+ fields populated with incorrect data (perhaps because some of the movies were incorrectly identified).  Do I need to go into the tagging panel and "blank" out the tag (ie. [Actors]) for each one of these tags?

Surely there is a way to clear all tags for an entry from the library?

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: How do I remove/clear tags from the library
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 09:41:51 pm »

Can someone/anyone answer my question?

Remove tags from the library...ie. all tage for the file. It's not ok to have to go in and manually blak each tag one at a time...you try it and see if you are still having fun after click, delete, click delete, click delete, click delete, clicke, cdelete, scroll, click delete...nope, still 30 tags to go for the ONE record...and now repeat that for 20 or 30 records.

Why can I clear tags on a .mp3 file but there is no way to clear tags in MC library for that file?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:45:33 pm »

Matt's advice is good.

Maybe you missed the part about selecting multiple files.

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:27:44 am »

I have a large number of movies which have been tagged.  An unknown number 30+ have been tagged incorrectly...but I do not know which until I discover (for example) that the plot or image does not match the actual video...ie. Bambi is incorrectly tagged as a xxx film.

I do not know how many errors like this there are until I look at it and then discover it's incorrectly tagged. I then want to change the tags, ~20-30 of them. I can not do this without entering and blanking each field. I can not do this en-mass as I do not know all the errors until I discover them. So while I understand I can select a range of files and manually blank the tags one at a time and have this apply to all selected files, this is not an easy or appropriate solution.

ie. In theatre view I see my kid and the neighbours watching Childs Play (a horror film) that's been incorrectly taged as a childrens show. Some time later, I then look down and see another movie that's incorrectly tagged...I now have to repeat the process. And so on for an unknown number of entries over an extended period of time.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 06:57:50 am »

Maybe you're not aware that you can use a slow double click to select the contents of a field, then just type what you want to replace it with.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 07:43:08 am »

When you delete a file from the library, it's moved to a recycle bin of sorts to preserve hand-entered metadata in case the file returns.

You can make a custom smartlist "~d=a" that will show these recycle bin files.  If you delete them again, the metadata will be discarded.

gappie

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 08:42:55 am »

i do think, though, that it could be a nice addition to the clean file properties dialogue. i looked for it when there was far to much info added to my movie files. spread over many fields.

:)
gab

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 10:01:40 pm »

When you delete a file from the library, it's moved to a recycle bin of sorts to preserve hand-entered metadata in case the file returns.

You can make a custom smartlist "~d=a" that will show these recycle bin files.  If you delete them again, the metadata will be discarded.
Thanks Matt, that is a step closer...

So, I need to...
0) Create the custom smart list "~d=a" (once off task)
1) Delete the item from the library using right click, delete (select only to delete from library
2) go to the smart list I created in 1) and delete the file from this list again
3) Run import to re-import the file
4) manually retag it as media type/subtype "movie"
5) re-load the correct tags using say "MovieSeriesInfos" plugin

That's certainly better than the alternate method.

Do you think the remove tags from library command might be included in a later release? (I looked for a suggestions thread to add it to but could not locate one).

Thanks,
Dav

PS...Thanks JimH, I am aware of the slow double click.
PPS Thanks for editing the thread, it reads much more civil now.

dcwebman

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 08:14:45 am »

i do think, though, that it could be a nice addition to the clean file properties dialogue.
This would make sense.
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 09:25:19 am »

Do you think the remove tags from library command might be included in a later release? (I looked for a suggestions thread to add it to but could not locate one).

It may be a good idea.

To me it might make sense for the "Remove Tags" command to offer clearing library fields, physical tags, or both.

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 01:52:03 am »

Thanks guys...appreciate your continued support and tireless drive to help the customer.\

With the rate of releases (1 every 3-5 days) I'll look forward to seeing this in a week or so :)

Dav

dcwebman

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 07:27:26 am »

To me it might make sense for the "Remove Tags" command to offer clearing library fields, physical tags, or both.
My vote would still be for the Clean File properties. That would give more flexibility as to exactly what fields you want blanked.
Jeff

gappie

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 07:38:33 am »

My vote would still be for the Clean File properties. That would give more flexibility as to exactly what fields you want blanked.
indeed. one can always use one of the update tools to get it to the tags also, or to clean the tags.

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up