INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suspend PC from MC?  (Read 2920 times)

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Suspend PC from MC?
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:57:06 am »

OK so perhaps this is a dumb question (I think I'm buggering something up here)...

Am trying to enter a remote command that will shutdown my PC to suspend.

I'm using a Harmony One remote programmed with MediaTek remote buttons (VERY similar layout to MCE remote) and a USBUIRT receiver. Am attempting to have the remote's 'PC Power' button act as the suspend button.

so here's what I'm doing...

Tools>Options>Remote Control>Commands>Add>Custom>Add Run

Executable: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
Parameters: powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

OK>OK>Learn

Now when I do this, the program either freezes or it learns it but the command does nothing.

As an aside to this, the Remote Control learn screen seems to be quite unstable when learning any command...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
J

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Suspend PC from MC?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:14:04 am »

The Windows Media Center remotes have a power button in the upper right corner.  This works fine for me without changing anything.  But I'm using our remote: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53651.0

In Control Panel, there is a a way to tell Windows what to do when power buttons are pushed.

If your remote has an MC mode, try it.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 08:18:03 pm »

Thanks Jim,

Luckily I have an MCE remote and IR recvr lying around so will reprogram the One with that.

Easy :)

kurushi

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 03:29:22 am »

Is it possible to hibernate Pc after the end of a playlist or to start from hibernate mode without a remote?
I was using this feature in foobar for longtime...
I have trying the plug but it's only for suspend i can't start my pc from hibernate mode in a schedule.
Thx in advance for an answer.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:21:53 am »

Don't know about suspending after playing playlist, but if you have Media Server running, you should be able to schedule an event and have the PC wake from hibernate to complete the task - i.e to record a TV show or wake you up as an alarm.

By the way, for the noobs out there (if there are any) I now have my Harmony One programmed with activities (Watch TV, Listen to Music etc) with my PC going to suspend when the remote power button is pressed, then waking when an activity is selected and going to correct Theater View screen, all through USBUIRT.

Use HIP to send it to standby and program the USBUIRT flash memory to wake it up. Pretty simple in the end :-)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 07:27:50 am »

By the way, for the noobs out there (if there are any) I now have my Harmony One programmed with activities (Watch TV, Listen to Music etc) with my PC going to suspend when the remote power button is pressed, then waking when an activity is selected and going to correct Theater View screen, all through USBUIRT.

Use HIP to send it to standby and program the USBUIRT flash memory to wake it up. Pretty simple in the end :-)
For the lazy noobs, this is standard behavior with our Media Center Remote, with no programming.

kurushi

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:07:47 am »

Don't know about suspending after playing playlist, but if you have Media Server running, you should be able to schedule an event and have the PC wake from hibernate to complete the task -

Thx for the reply but when u say Media server running ,u mean in another pc?
i use MC only on one pc...

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 07:22:59 pm »

No, you don't need to run it on a second PC.

Media Server is a systray app that can be loaded when windows starts (see the wiki at http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Media_Server_Startup_on_Windows_Boot) and it will restore the PC from suspend if an event has been scheduled in the Scheduler.

kurushi

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 10:48:07 am »

Hi have set winseven for authorize programm to wake my pc and made a schedule with a playlist.
I need to restart manually my computer and media server read the playlist but don' t wake up my pc .
What i have missed?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 04:26:14 pm »

Are you putting your PC in Standby (s3) mode or shutting it down completely? It must be in Standby.

kurushi

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 09:24:01 pm »

I have put IT  in HIBERNATE mode.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 10:47:23 pm »

nirsoft.net has a utility, nircmd.exe, that does about a bazillion utility things, many of which are useful in a Media Center environment.

Five of which are; shutdown, reboot, hibernate, sleep, and logoff.

Very easy to call from a batch file or command line or as a macro from any MCE interface.

kurushi

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 10:08:44 am »

nirsoft.net has a utility, nircmd.exe, that does about a bazillion utility things, many of which are useful in a Media Center environment.

Five of which are; shutdown, reboot, hibernate, sleep, and logoff.

Very easy to call from a batch file or command line or as a macro from any MCE interface.
Yes i have see here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

but i want to wake up my pc from hibernate mode.it's not allowed  with this tool.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 11:57:19 am »

AFAIK, there are two ways to wake up a PC from hibernate; hit the power supply button or send the lan interface a 'magic packet'.

Some BIOS allow a timer/alarm clock setting but these are not standard across brands or even models of machines.

kurushi

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 01:39:59 pm »

AFAIK, there are two ways to wake up a PC from hibernate; hit the power supply button or send the lan interface a 'magic packet'.

Some BIOS allow a timer/alarm clock setting but these are not standard across brands or even models of machines.
And there's also a plug-in for foobar who can do this without magic packet or finger in supply power button.
With this plug foobar waked up my pc and was starting to play the music so no more alrm clock near my bed :)
It'll be good to make this in MC14

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 05:48:52 pm »

There is a difference between Hibernate and Standby modes.

Hibernate mode doesn't draw any power, so doesn't provide any power to your PC, so won't wake up for things like scheduled recordings or virus scans or things like that.

Standby mode still draws a current but shuts down things like your HDD etc. This mode allows your PC to wake for things like recording.

kurushi

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 01:00:39 am »

I know the différence and foobar wake up my pc from Hibernate mode.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 06:20:21 am »

OK I know I should leave this where it lies, but here goes...

Is there a particular reason that you are so desperate to use hibernate mode instead of standby?

I know Foobar let's you use hibernate but is that the only reason?

kurushi

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 08:39:07 am »

Hibernate mode doesn't draw any power,

It's for this reason i don't want use power when i sleep.

But u right the topic is Suspend pc from mc and no wake up from hibernate mod.

I'll start a new topic for this request.
Pages: [1]   Go Up