INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win7 Sound issue  (Read 2244 times)

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
Win7 Sound issue
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:21:00 am »

Not really a MC problem but, lots of smart people here so I'm hoping for a hand.  Doesn't matter what playback app same problem.
I have a Gigabyte MB with Realtek ALC889A built on, Win7 Home SPDIF to a Denon receiver. 5.1 sound plays back fine. When I play back a 2 channel source (CD) I get sound from all 5 speakers. Any idea what/where I have to change to get 5.1 as 5.1 and 2 channel as 2 or 2.1?

Newest drivers, It worked in Vista before the upgrade.
Thanks

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Win7 Sound issue
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 03:39:36 am »

FWIW (because I'm not that smart) my very similar set up (Sony receiver) results in 2-channel with a 2-channel source. SPDIF is a digital signal which the receiver decodes. Mine provides a very prominent display indication when it's getting a Dolby signal, and that's the only time I get 5.1. So my first guess is your receiver has a "feature" whereby a 2-channel signal is converted for 5.1 output. My second guess is you're somehow converting your 2-channel sources to 5.1 before they get to SPDIF. Hmm... I wouldn't have thought that possible unless I was using AC3Filter. It can "up-mix any audio track (even plain stereo) up to 6 channels." In it's SPDIF settings, however, I've selected "do not encode stereo PCM." So my third (and wildest) guess is you're using AC3Filter (or something like it), and have not configured it the same way as I have.  :-\

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:48:13 am »

Thanks for the reply.  Could it be a setting in the CCCP?  If so would that affect WMP?  Nothing has changed on the receiver since it was working before.  Only change was upgrade to Win7.
Thanks again

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:08:22 pm »

Could it be a setting in the CCCP?

There are settings there for SPDIF pass through and encoding (the RHS of the first settings window). I'm not going to suggest how they should be set—I have enough trouble figuring out my own settings. Whether or not you want to us AC3Filter, you might find the documentation there helpful in explaining how SPDIF connections should be configured.

BTW, when you do figure it out, I'd be interested to know how you do get 2-channel to play 5.1. I sometimes wish I had the option of playing stereo to 4 speakers (not 5 or necessarily "quad"—just 2 left and 2 right). I suspect, however, this is just how my receiver works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up