INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing m4a 5.1 audio files doesn't output all channels  (Read 3385 times)

ajua

• Recent member
Playing m4a 5.1 audio files doesn't output all channels
« on: December 09, 2009, 07:20:52 am »

I decided to encode the audio of some concerts I have on DVD (all with 5.1 AC3) to AAC so I can store and add them to my audio library. I did this because the 5.1 sound is much better than encoding the audio to 2-channel mp3.

I have MC configured to output 5.1 channels using JRSS and my MP3's play great. But when I play these m4a files the sound is being output as if it was stereo because I can't hear any sound coming out from the surround speakers of my home theater setup.

Do i need to tweak some settings? or MC doesn't support AAC with 5.1 audio as m4a files?

Also, I wonder if any of you are storing 5.1 audio for playback in your libraries as I intend to do. If so, which format? I choose AAC because I can get file sizes like MP3 but with 5.1 channels and great quality.

Thanks and regards.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Playing m4a 5.1 audio files doesn't output all channels
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:38:20 am »

You might take a look at this:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/MP4_and_M4A_File_Support

To use DSP Studio and the JRiver audio engine, you'll have to make sure you select that for M4A because it may default to using the Quicktime engine.

After that, it's up to the decoding DirectShow filter to deliver 5.1 to our playback engine.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ajua

• Recent member
Re: Playing m4a 5.1 audio files doesn't output all channels
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 03:32:29 pm »

I'm running MC in Windows 7 x64 and have the latest version of ffdshow and AC3Filter installed.

EDIT: I installed MONOGRAM AAC Decoder latest version and now those 5.1 files are working great and even the volume bar also stopped being dragged to 0 (while the sound volume didn't change, just the bar) when I play them.

MC is not able to analyze them, though. When I click on analyze it does nothing.

Also, some files don't show the embedded covert art while others do. All of them show it on Windows Explorer and WMP.

If someone has any advice on how to be able to analyze the audio, please let me know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up