INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with VST Host  (Read 9183 times)

aljordan

• Recent member
Problem with VST Host
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:38:25 pm »

Hi,

I am an owner of Media Center 13, and am trying out 14 because I want to make use of the VST plugin host.

I use Console as a VST plugin.  Whenever I try to load a VST plugin to Media Center, the host briefly opens Console (I guess as it scans plugins), and then never allows me to actually load a plugin after that.  If I remove Console from my system, it will allow me to attempt to add a different plugin, but that crashes Media Center until I uninstall and reinstall the entire Media Center application.  The plugin I eventually want to add is the Waves Paragraphic EQ.

Please note that I have no issues loading up Console and Waves in the Foobar 2000 VST host.

Please let me know if I can provide more information.

Thank you,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem with VST Host
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:30:48 am »

If Waves Paragraphic EQ is a VST plug-in, you should be able to load it directly.  Does that work?

There is a thread on VST here.

aljordan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 06:56:22 am »

Directly loading up the Waves plugin causes JRiver to crash.  Console is useful because it allows one to string a number of VST plugins together. 

You can download a 30 day trial of Console at http://console.jp/en/download.html if you want to check out the behavior.  The VST version is included in the package.  I can't send the Waves plugins over because there is no trial version available.

I'll look at the VST thread you've linked.

Alan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:59:08 am »

If I remove Console from my system, it will allow me to attempt to add a different plugin, but that crashes Media Center until I uninstall and reinstall the entire Media Center application.
Did you do the reinstall before testing?

kurushi

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 09:29:48 am »

Directly loading up the Waves plugin causes JRiver to crash.  Console is useful because it allows one to string a number of VST plugins together.  

You can download a 30 day trial of Console at http://console.jp/en/download.html if you want to check out the behavior.  The VST version is included in the package.  I can't send the Waves plugins over because there is no trial version available.

Hi i was used Console long time ago and moved to Energy xt it's similar to console for the modular environement I am pretty sure it 'll work u can try the demo (no time limit just no saves)

When u purchase the new version the key work with the old version 1.41 (i use more often the old version...)More lightweight more skinnable :)
I have tested Energy xt with many host hardware environements and always be running fine.

http://www.energy-xt.com/

The old version:
http://www.xt-hq.com/download/
The forum for ressouces:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55793

cya

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:28:57 am »

The plug-in "Console" is showing user interface as soon as it's created instead of when we ask it for its display.  This isn't good.  For example, simply enumerating the system for installed DirectX plugins creates a popup dialog and breaks our ability to show a menu.  Further, all the user interface is floating popups instead of slaved into the DSP window.  This makes it really tricky to disable skinning, etc. for us since their user interface ends up using a different parent window than we told it to use.

After some wrestling I was able to get it installed as a VST plugin and working fine with other safe VST plugins.  However, since Media Center allows stacking and ordering of VST plugins, I'm not sure Console is helping much.

I can't see a way to try Waves since it requires a hardware lock key and costs $200.  Maybe you could contact the developers of Waves?

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

aljordan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 11:14:13 am »

Hi,

I've found other VST parametric equalizers to use instead of Waves that perform just as well and work inside of J River.

Thanks for looking into Console.

Alan

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 04:16:49 pm »

Hi,

I've found other VST parametric equalizers to use instead of Waves that perform just as well and work inside of J River.

Thanks for looking into Console.

Alan
Could you please list the one(s) you found that work. Thanks.

aljordan

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 08:40:30 am »

Could you please list the one(s) you found that work. Thanks.

A good free one that works well with it is Electi-Q Posihfopit edition.  Others that I've tested and know work (the demo versions anyway) are Nugen SEQ1, and Flux ePure II (this was the best sounding, but expensive).

I've been using a digital room correction plugin called IK Multimedia ARC, which works very well.  It is by far the easiest digital room correction software I've used, and the most effective EQ I've tried.  Unfortunately, it is expensive also.

Bjorn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 02:05:45 pm »

I don't know if anyone saw this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55327.0

The DSP Studio crashed when I tried to load Electri-Q as a VST plug-in. I haven't tried other EQ plug-ins after that. I had Console installed as plug-in because I tried Audiolense for a while and it worked fine. Could the crash have anything to do with Console?

Does Flux ePure II work in JRiver? I see several are mentioned that this is a really good EQ.

aljordan

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 03:08:29 pm »

I don't know if anyone saw this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55327.0

The DSP Studio crashed when I tried to load Electri-Q as a VST plug-in. I haven't tried other EQ plug-ins after that. I had Console installed as plug-in because I tried Audiolense for a while and it worked fine. Could the crash have anything to do with Console?

Does Flux ePure II work in JRiver? I see several are mentioned that this is a really good EQ.

Flux Epure II definitely works in J River ( I just tried the demo version).  I was mistaken about Electri-Q.  It doesn't work in JRiver ( I get an output format not supported message).  I had J River mixed up with Foobar 2000, where Elictri-Q works fine.

Regarding Console, the DSP studio chokes on it, so the crash could have to do with it.  You can get past it though without uninstalling Console.  Just rename the C:\Program Files\Console directory (or whatever directory it installed to) to something like C:\Program Files\ConsoleTemp and the J River DSP Studio will work properly.

Bjorn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 05:09:45 pm »

Flux Epure II definitely works in J River ( I just tried the demo version).  I was mistaken about Electri-Q.  It doesn't work in JRiver ( I get an output format not supported message).  I had J River mixed up with Foobar 2000, where Elictri-Q works fine.
I already had the console VST installed and tried to install Flux. I got the message that the program had failed to enable the plug-in. I then tried tried Apulsoft and it worked. Tried another one (think it was Electri-Q) and the DSP Studio crashed. I reinstalled JRiver and this time I didn't have the console VST plug-in. Tried Flux again and it worked!

Regarding Console, the DSP studio chokes on it, so the crash could have to do with it.  You can get past it though without uninstalling Console.  Just rename the C:\Program Files\Console directory (or whatever directory it installed to) to something like C:\Program Files\ConsoleTemp and the J River DSP Studio will work properly.
Yes. Every time I pressed add a plug-in Console would star running for a few seconds. I changed the name like you suggested. Had JRiver and DSP Studio open when I did it. Then pressed add plug-in and I got a weird message with "chinese" letters. JRiver shut down and feared I had to reintall JRiver. But starting JRiver again everything works and Console is no longer running in the backround when I add a plug-in. Kisses from Norway aljordan.  ;D
Thank you!

Now I have alot of testing in front of me with different EQ plug-ins and I also need to find out how they work..... I've never been able to to get Audiolense to give me the sound I wanted. I also have the room quite heavily treated with acoustic stuff and have good control of reflections. I basically need to even out some dips. I might look into IK Multimedia ARC too though.

aljordan

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 07:26:26 pm »

Kisses from Norway aljordan.  ;D
Thank you!

Now I have alot of testing in front of me with different EQ plug-ins and I also need to find out how they work..... I've never been able to to get Audiolense to give me the sound I wanted. I also have the room quite heavily treated with acoustic stuff and have good control of reflections. I basically need to even out some dips. I might look into IK Multimedia ARC too though.

Off topic, but I was actually in Norway this past summer.  I live in the United States, but spent about 12 days in Norway in August.  I was in the southern part of the country around Kristiansand, and then drove up the western coast a way to Stavanger and traveled around there a while.  What a beautiful place.  I would love to spend a month driving around Norway and kayaking the coast, but unfortunately the U.S. Dollar doesn't go very far in Norway.

Regardarding the various parametric EQ plugins, I definitely think Flux Epure II was the best I tried out in terms of sound quality.  I was trying it just to even out the room response humps in the lower areas of the frequency spectrum...  if you try to correct the room nulls you will probably end up overtaxing your amps without making much of a positive improvement.

However, I haven't used the parametric EQ much since setting up IK Multimedia ARC.  I also have a good room with some acoustical treatments, so I dont have too many problems.  ARC deals with phase issues on top of frequency response, and I think the phase correction makes quite a bit of difference.  Unfortunately, ARC doesn't give much control over the final response curve, but there is one curve which I think sounds particularly good; high-end roll-off with midrange dip.

Alan

Bjorn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 02:37:58 am »

I live in Bergen which is north of Stavanger. Beatiful city, but it rains too much. Right now we have snow and white Christmas which is nice since it's so dark herer in the winter months.

I've a pair of active Adam speakers with built in 4 power amps in each speaker. So I've plenty of headroom. The speakers actually have the possiblity of changing level at bass, midrange and treble but they're too broad to get a really good result.

I'm well aware of phase correction. Audiolense does that too and is theoretically superior too any parametric equalizer. Not sure why I never was pleased with the sound, but I haven't given it up totally. There are many customers who are very happy with it.
http://www.juicehifi.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up