INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEED Version 7.x (Can't Use Version 8.x )  (Read 2680 times)

ciggieoxo

NEED Version 7.x (Can't Use Version 8.x )
« on: July 03, 2002, 04:13:37 pm »

I am trying to run version 8.0.300 on a Dell Dimension at 550 MHz using Windows 98 SE with 512 RAM and with 60 Gigs free on drive and compatible CD/DVD |PLS| CD-RW drives. It crashes every time but cannot duplicate crash at my will; it chashes at its will -- every time.

So, Can I buy 7.x which worked perfectly? I cannot find a download site for 7.x (I removed 7.x so it's gone.)

Thank you~! Frieden des Gottes, ciggie

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:NEED Version 7.x (Can't Use Version 8.x )
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2002, 04:24:51 pm »

MJ7 is no longer for sale.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ciggieoxo

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2002, 10:15:13 pm »

"MJ7 is no longer for sale."

Do you speak officially for JRiver Inc.?

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2002, 11:35:36 pm »

I just read the title of this thread and it occurred to me (before I read the posts) that some poeple would be using MJ on systems that might not be able to handle MJ8.0.

Obviously this is not the problem that was posted about by ciggieoxo.

However I think it is an important point.(Should I start a new thread?)

For example I know that my parents are using MJ7.2 (basic unlicensed) on a P133 system. (32MB RAM I think). -Even if they wanted to, they could not upgrade to MJ8.0

Infact anyone with a system below spec (P200 and above) could not even run MJ8. -Is this made clear on the Website? I don't know I haven't looked.

If only for this reason I think it important to continue to sell and support (ie. plugin updates) MJ7.2 (or some other "cut-down" version for slower systems).

What do people think?  JimH?  Nikolay?

ta.
p.

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2002, 11:51:44 pm »

Look difficult to do
The licence is not the same and so on

But they may have the 7 plugings somewhere on the site,for people using 7

nivw

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2002, 05:29:45 am »

I also bought the lisence for MJB 7.
My motherboard fried, and I replaced it after two months.
Setting up my PC again, I came to d/l MJB, and I may only d/l 8.
Nice features and all, but I paid for 7. So how may I d/l it.
I don't feel comftribale going to warez sites, only to find a program I purchased.

Niv

Influxor

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2002, 05:37:53 am »

although i have purchased and upgraded to 8.x, i still have the setup files for v7.2.272.
umm no highspeed avalible in my town.. so if ya have the time and want it..e-mail me or something (if you have no other options).

wmleler

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2002, 05:56:24 am »

I have a copy of MJ 7.  It is 6.5MB.  Send email to me (wm at leler.com) if you need it.

sekim

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2002, 06:04:36 am »

ZRocker

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2002, 06:56:26 am »

MH,

The FTP site copies all point to the current released 8.0 version...duh!!  The old names are used to name the current version different ways so that 'old' weblinks still get the most current released version.

So...that's why.

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2002, 07:02:54 am »

File named MediaJukebox7.exe in ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/ just a link to version 8 download. This is done to make sure that people download latest version of MJ even if they use old link.

We will upload version 7.2 to our server on Monday, you will be able to download it from the following location:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/old/MediaJukebox72.exe

Nikolay

sekim

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2002, 07:05:01 am »

ZRocker,

Didn't check the link out. Thanks for pointing that out. I suppose I could load it to my homepage, but the traffic is limited to about 100 megabytes. So if it got hit hard the link wouldn't work after awhile.

Nevermind....see above post.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2002, 08:10:09 am »

>> There are places you can download MJ 7.2 exe on the net that
>> are saved to servers other than J River's you just need to look.

ciggieoxo

>> "MJ7 is no longer for sale."
>> Do you speak officially for JRiver Inc.?
Well It Has Been Offically Not For Sale For A Month Or So.

At That Time J River Offically Took It Off The Offical FTP Link.

Since "Nikolay Sokratov" Who Works A J River Said They Would Put It Up For Download Again On Monday. Maybe You Have Made J River Offically Change Taking The Last Version Off The Web Site.

I Do Think That Last 2 Offical Versions Should Stay On The Ftp Link (Like MJ7, MJ8) (MJ8, MJ9). MJ7 Users Should See A HTML On The Start Page Telling Them Of The Latest Release, But I guess That Is A Company Call.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2002, 08:40:55 am »

Media Jukebox version 7.x will not be available for purchasing.

The download link will be provided for existing users of Media Jukebox 7.x who don't want to upgrade to version 8.

No updates or fixes will be available for Media Jukebox 7.x

Nikolay Sokratov
CTO, JRiver, Inc.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2002, 01:21:07 pm »

nivw said on 07-04-2002 08:29:45 A.M.

"I also bought the lisence for MJB 7.
My motherboard fried, and I replaced it after two months.
Setting up my PC again, I came to d/l MJB, and I may only d/l 8.
Nice features and all, but I paid for 7."

A Version 7 license will work on Version 8.
That's right.
I'm cool.

ciggieoxo

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2002, 12:13:10 am »

"We will upload version 7.2 to our server on Monday, you will be able to download it from the following location:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/old/MediaJukebox72.exe"

Hooray for Nikolay~!

A big Wow. This kind of service (plus using the real CDDB) is more than enough reason to be or become a loyal J River Inc MJ fan(atic). MJ support from staff and all MJBoxers online here is may be Media Jukebox's its greatest asset (and of course this does not belittle the coding of the MJ product which is just simply the best.)

Of course "No updates or fixes will be available for Media Jukebox 7.x" is exactly as it should be. "The download link will be provided for existing users of Media Jukebox 7.x who don't want to upgrade to version 8." is just perfect.

::applause::

J River Inc. MJ's staff & its users on "Interact" redefine the meaning of "user friendly."

Many Thanks~!  ciggieoxo

ciggieoxo

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2002, 02:32:35 am »

Need Your Help Nikolay,

You wrote, "Media Jukebox version 7.x will not be available for purchasing. The download link will be provided for existing users of Media Jukebox 7.x who don't want to upgrade to version 8"

Um, er, but my problem is different. My computer is able to handle Ver 7.x but is not up to the task of handling 8.x. I have downloaded 7.x but I cannot use it because the trial period is over. Somehow I need to pay for ver 7.x. If not, I won't be able to use Media Jukebox and I'll be forced to use ::choke::gasp::weep::cough::cough:: -- mmjb.  

::sigh:: ciggie

AlonsoN

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2002, 08:18:47 am »

Hey ciggieoxo:

I also have a Dell Dimension 550 (I run NT, not 98), and had a problem with MJ after 7.2.  Turns out that the generic burner driver was the problem.

I'm really curious to see if maybe the problems are related, and thus maybe hardware/bios based.  I had presumed it was a NT issue.

If you can get it, install 8.0.366 or earlier (later versions won't even install).  It should install just fine.  If it does before you do anything else go to CD, DVD & Handhelds in the left panel.  Then click on your burner.  For me this would give a BSOD, for you ? If you get a crash then maybe your machine, like mine, has a problem with the generic burner driver, and there is a fix for that...

Scronch

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2002, 09:03:04 pm »

I agree that the system that Ciggie lists should have no problem running MJ8.  It is a driver or o/s problem.  Ciggie, if I were you, I'd try what Alonso says.  If that doesn't work, I'd reload Win98.  If it still doesn't work, I'd consider upgrading to Win2k or (gasp!) WinXP.  I've heard lots of Win98 complaints.

I think that it is a very good idea for JRiver to offer the 7.2 load online, of course with no support.  This not only shows very good will, but it allows that segment with truly old PC's to still enjoy MJ.  Some day they will upgrade hardware, and will still be a JRiver customer.

Scronch

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2002, 05:38:06 am »

Overall, Media Jukebox 8 should run much faster than 7.  And read the FAQ for tips to make it even faster. (turn off skinning, etc.)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ciggieoxo

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2002, 06:57:04 am »

Hi Folks,

Yes there is a problem running MJ8 on a Dell Dimension XPS T550. MJ8 runs but it runs perilously on the edge of lock-ups. Plusd and impossibly slow on this machine.

And I really do want Ver 7.x since all was well and I was happy with it. I use it for three functions: ripping, encoding, burning. I play all my music on a CD MP3 Player.

I love all the great suggestions and more so I appreciate you taking the time to help out a fellow MJ fanatic.

Thanks~! ciggieoxo
Pages: [1]   Go Up