INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why doesn't MC use my default browser?  (Read 3374 times)

Donny Bahama

• Recent member
Why doesn't MC use my default browser?
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:02:33 pm »

When I click a link in MC, it starts MSIE. Like most savvy computer users, I don't use MSIE due to the security risks, so it really bugs me that MC defaults to it. I've looked through MC's Options and don't see any setting for this. What gives?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Why doesn't MC use my default browser?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:04:10 pm »

We use IE for a browser because we can count on it being there and because we know what it will do.

If you're concerned about security, make sure you update to IE8. 

IE isn't more prone to security problems than any other browser.

Donny Bahama

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:20:44 pm »

We use IE for a browser because we can count on it being there and because we know what it will do.
Come on - how hard would it be to give people the option to just use the default browser?
If you're concerned about security, make sure you update to IE8.  

IE isn't more prone to security problems than any other browser.
You're absolutely wrong about that. Not only is IE a primary target for exploits (precisely because malicious hackers "can count on it being there"), but Microsoft has a long history of unacceptable delays in providing patches for known exploits.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:00:53 pm »

Donny,
In my opinion, your concerns about security are not valid.  It might have been an issue a few years ago.  It isn't now.

We don't implement every idea we hear.  Your idea could take a nano second to form, but the implementation might take us a week and this particular suggestion would probably create new problems.

Wikipedia on browser market share.

Firefox security issues

We're not going to make this change.

Jim

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 04:44:48 pm »

What links are you talking about?

When launching a browser, we launch the default browser.  On my system, this is not IE.

The IE control is used inside the player in some cases.  There's no viable embeddable HTML renderer from other makers, so this will not be changed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Donny Bahama

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 04:52:22 pm »

What links are you talking about?
I clicked a link (may have double-clicked) in a page displayed in the embedded browser. An external browser was launched - MSIE. This is definitely not the default on my system. (Google Chrome is.)
When launching a browser, we launch the default browser.  On my system, this is not IE.
That's not how it worked for me.
The IE control is used inside the player in some cases.  There's no viable embeddable HTML renderer from other makers, so this will not be changed.
I wasn't talking about the embedded browser.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 06:40:23 pm »

I clicked a link (may have double-clicked) in a page displayed in the embedded browser. An external browser was launched - MSIE. This is definitely not the default on my system. (Google Chrome is.)...
... I wasn't talking about the embedded browser.

When you are browsing a web page inside MC you are already running I.E. (the embedded version). When the creator of the web page has coded a link to open in a new browser window and you click such a link the browser does what is requested. It opens a new browser window. No web browser opens a different program when a standard web page link is clicked (at least not by default).

MC has web links that are not on a web page (for instance, the Help links). These links can open the default browser.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up