INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Search List Help  (Read 1589 times)

joh

• World Citizen
Search List Help
« on: December 19, 2009, 01:23:24 am »

I have created a view for managing duplicates. I also have a field "duplicate type" where values can be e.g. "Original", "Alt. Mix" and "Live version".
I want to create a search list that returns all duplicates ([name, artist]) where at least one of these duplicates have [Duplicate Type] = unassigned . I know this is simple if you no how to do it.... Help is appreciated!

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Search List Help
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 05:27:04 am »

maybe there is an easier way, but this is how i would do it:

make a smartlist with all songs that have duplicate type filled in and from every song-artist only one, so with the
limited advanced = -1,1,[name],[artist]

make an other smartlist with all songs that have the duplicate type unassigned, and use the same rule:
limited advanced = -1,1,[name],[artist]

make a third smartlist which uses the two smartlists above and search for duplicates

:)
gab

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 05:55:48 am »

This would return just two entries for each duplicate, no?

So if there were more than one unassigned [duplicate type] for the same [name],[artist] only one would be listed, likewise for the populated [duplicate types].
This does not achieve the goal of "return all duplicates ([name],[artist]) where at least one of these duplicates have [duplicate type] = unassigned"

this one is not so easy gappie, I'm still thinking...

I'm thinking that you're method above may be as close as we can get, and that all you can do is keep refreshing the list until there are no more unassigned duplicates left... still thinking though....

gappie

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 06:40:48 am »

indeed marco, that would return only two duplicates from which one has an empty duplicate type.

an other idea.. not sure if it will work, have to test it..
but: make a view with only duplicates.
put at the top name as thumbnail and sort it by duplicate type, i guess this will put all songs with an empty duplicate at the top. now if you set the bottom at details, double clicking at the thumb gives a list of all the dups of one song. add dup type to the collumns and you get a view with all the dups types of that song. maybe its even possible to add a expression under the thumb.

ill check later.

gab

nah... i dont think this will work.. :(

gappie

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 07:22:45 am »

well, make a new libraryfield, call it [check duptype], set it to integer. close lib field manager, open again go to the same field and change it to un expression. (the first step, first setting it to integer is important).
the expression.
if(isempty([Duplicate Type,0]),1,0)
now do as i did above in a view with thumbnails, sort by z-a [check duptype]
also put check duptype under the thumb. now all the duplicates with an empty duplicate are at the top, and have a 1 under the thumb. double clicking them gives all the songs with the duptype.

i just tested it with genre, something that is not filled in everywhere, and it worked.

gab

edit: i attached a screenshot how it looks. see the one under roudmidnight and the genre list in the view under it. the same could work for duptypes

edit two: forgot the artist part, but when you add artist before name in the top, that will be taken care of also...

joh

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 12:47:23 pm »

thanks a lot guys. It was a little more tricky than I would have thought. I'll try it out.

Happy holidays!

Olle

Jody

Re: Removing Duplicates
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 02:24:54 pm »

I'm considering the upgrade to MC 14 but having an easy and automatic way to Remove Duplicates is
a rather important consideration for me, and it doesn't seem to be in place in this version either.  I am not tech
savvy enough to go through all the steps mentioned above, and honestly have a hard time even understanding what you
are referring to.

I have also been using iTunes for just this very reason...there is a very easy "remove duplicates" option there.  But
somehow in moving between the two I have created a lot of duplicates in MC 13.  I would love to be a MC sole user
but don't understand why this function isn't already managed in the software?  Thanks for any guidance you might be
able to offer...I appreciate it.

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 04:45:59 pm »

I am not tech savvy enough to go through all the steps mentioned above

The above posts are addressing one user's particular method for managing duplicates. Generally, it's very easy to identify duplicates using a Smartlist. For example, a list I might use is...

[Media Type]=[Audio] [Filename (path)]=[D:\Audio" ~dup=[Artist],[Name] ~sort=[Name],[Artist]

That may look complicated, but I created it in seconds using the standard controls on the Edit Smartlist dialog.

I have also been using iTunes for just this very reason...there is a very easy "remove duplicates" option there.

The thought of using iTunes makes me queasy, but a quick Google of the matter suggests "duplicates" in iTunes means something quite different. Your "remove duplicates" option seems to be for removing duplicates in the database. It's not possible for such duplicates to exist in an MC database (because every entry in the database is for one and only one media file in the file system). A "duplicate" in MC is an apparent duplication of a track as another physical file. This situation, of course, can exist regardless of what you use to manage your media. The difference is, MC offers lots of powerful tools for managing such things, while iTune (I'll take a wild guess) offers none.

There will never be a simple way to remove duplicates. It's not always clear which file—if any—should be removed, and there's normally a significant element of personal choice involved. For example, I have lots of duplicates—mainly tracks that exist in both an original album and one or more compilation albums. I don't want to delete either because I want both albums to be complete. If that's not the situation, then I still want to be sure I'm not deleting something that just looks like a duplicate—like a live version I've failed to tag a such. Finally, if I have identified a true duplicate, I would want to be sure to keep the one of better quality.

BTW, "intentional duplicates" are easily excluded from any playlist (using the button provided) or smartlist (by adding a "remove duplicates of..." modifier).
Pages: [1]   Go Up