INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to play recorded television  (Read 2196 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
How to play recorded television
« on: December 21, 2009, 11:16:41 am »

I have a folder full of television recordings ranging from manual recordings to saved time-shifting but am unable to play them.  In the past, I could drag a folder to MC and select play.  Some of them would play.  Now, none of them play.  MC imports the files (40 in one folder) and then does nothing.  VLC doesn't appear to play the files either.  What programs are able to play the recorded television content other than MC?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: How to play recorded television
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 06:11:29 pm »

First of all, they must be playable in MC.  If they do not, something is wrong.

If they play in MC, they also will play in ZoomPlayer and Windows Media Player.  Not VLC.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

benn600

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:02:21 pm »

I can't get the video I recorded to play anymore.  I drag it to MC and select play.  It scans through 120 files ( :( ) and ends up showing the dialogue shown for files that have no association.  This recorded television played about a month ago shortly after it was recorded with the same procedure.  Could it have been a MC change in a later version?

I also restored the video from Shadow Copy from about a month ago, as close to the date it was recorded but this produced the same result.

I would much prefer MC to store the video in a single file rather than producing hundreds of files for medium- to long-length shows.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 08:14:12 am »

Have the files been moved?  The files that are playable have extension jtv and they should stay inside their own respective folders, with all other files in the folder intact (jta, jts, jti, jtf. and cnk).

benn600

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 12:09:51 pm »

I did not move any of the files that I know of.  I gathered that they probably have to stay together.

It would be so much easier if a .mpg or other single file could be recorded--somehow.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 03:34:12 pm »

Are you able to play a TV channel in time-shifting mode?  Try reinstalling MC.

benn600

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 04:42:04 pm »

Yes, I can play live and time shifted channels.  The strange thing is that the video played a few weeks ago.  It could be linked to a newer MC version.

Is there a procedure to simply play a single file from the folder in WMP or something else?

Speaking of which, is there a way to export a single file from MC for use elsewhere?  A nice .mpg or .avi for easy portability.  Much nicer than 120 files for the video I'm referring to.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 05:47:38 pm »

remuxing to another container is not available at this time.

You can play jtv files in Windows Media Player, ZoomPlayer, MPC etc.

benn600

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 07:06:56 pm »

I finally figured this issue out.  It was a mistake on my part, trying to play the wrong particular video folder.

For recorded video one wants to save long term, what is my best option?

Any chance saved time-shifting could be changed to save to a parent folder for better separation /Time Shifting/

I like saving time shifting as a backup because I'm still not fully confident in our complete television system--not just MC affects it.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 08:51:12 am »

The jtv file is just a stub file that references the actual contents files in the folder.  It is therefore better to keep it together with all other files in the folder.  You can manually move the entire folder anyway you like, as long as you do not separate the individual files.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 11:53:44 pm »

How does/should this work with a client trying to watch TV recorded on my HTPC?

I can watch the files just fine on the HTPC, but I can't even see the recorded programs on the client machine, with the local library.

If I connect to the library server, I can see them but I get an error when I hit play, something about not being able to play, a problem with the directshow filter I think.
pretend this is something funny

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 08:54:26 am »

How does/should this work with a client trying to watch TV recorded on my HTPC?

I can watch the files just fine on the HTPC, but I can't even see the recorded programs on the client machine, with the local library.

If I connect to the library server, I can see them but I get an error when I hit play, something about not being able to play, a problem with the directshow filter I think.

With Library Server, you can play them on a client machine on the local network.  You need to do two things:

1. Share the drive on the server where the TV recordings are located, and map it on the client machine using the same drive letter so the files are available on the client using exactly the same file path.  For example if the file on the server is S:\Video\TV Recordings\filename.jtv, it should appear on the client machine with the same path. 

2. Turn on the option "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found".

There are a couple of recent posts by AlexB on this subject, especially on folder sharing and drive mapping.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 10:42:02 pm »

With Library Server, you can play them on a client machine on the local network.  You need to do two things:

1. Share the drive on the server where the TV recordings are located, and map it on the client machine using the same drive letter so the files are available on the client using exactly the same file path.  For example if the file on the server is S:\Video\TV Recordings\filename.jtv, it should appear on the client machine with the same path. 

2. Turn on the option "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found".

There are a couple of recent posts by AlexB on this subject, especially on folder sharing and drive mapping.

thanks.

I updated the sharing and mapping of the drive; the server shows it mapped to W:\Recorded TV\ and the local machine and local library now shows the same path for recorded TV.

I checked and both machines already had the play from local selected on both machines.

I can see the recorded programs with the local machine using the served library, but I get an error when i try to play anything "DirectShow: The media type of this file is not recognized" with a code number following it

using the local library, I can't even see them, and the main TV area says there are no channels configured, double-click to scan, but I don't have a tuner connected to this machine.  I don't see a way to get the channels without one, and I can't see the recorded this way either.

I'll look for Alex's threads for more help, but would appreciate any more help and guidance you can provide also.

thanks again.
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up