INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: building a server, and tech guys wants to know f jriver supports threading?  (Read 2210 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

from my tech... threading makes it possible to utilize multiple CPU's and or cores.. every software can run on a multi-core or cpu system, however to actually utilize multiple cpu's/cores .. the software must be capable of threading.

also he wants to know if jriver will work on linux- unix? or if i need to go with windows server?
those of you using windows server have you had any issues? he's leary of using windows server, and has informed me to use linux-unix for all my files and they would have to be converted to those os's, but would be a much better setup...your opinions, experience?
anything else i should be aware of to inform my tech guy before building my server?

thank you for your time

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

MC is deeply multi-threaded.  It will use the cores.

Linux, UNIX, no.  MC doesn't run on them unless you use VMware or similar.  Linux would make a fine file server though.

HTPC4ME

ok thanks alot for reply

one thing i'm confussed about

if i'd want to have access to all files on the server via the net webremote etc.. wouldnt jriver need to be installed on the server so that jrivers server was running? if so then i would be stuck having to go with windows server..correct?

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd

As user of Linux, Mac and PC I can give you an unbiased opinion of all of them:

None are better than the other, except maybe in some users opinions. Each has their pros and cons. I use the right tool for the job at hand. I would be cautious of any user, even if technically inclined, who makes blanket statements about one being much better than the other.

Lets face it. There are several million installs out there of Windows Server OS's. They are there for a reason, and it is not because those purchasing they systems don't know what they are doing. There is certainly nothing to be "cautious" about.

What I would be concerned with is who is going to maintain it for you. If you know Linux, then by all means use it to store your media files. If you don't, then an OS you are more familiar with would be a better choice. Windows Server OS's are very similar to the Desktop Systems so you would probably be able to maintain them yourself. Either way MC would have to be running on a Windows PC, so it is really a moot point.

Personally, I wouldn't run MC on a server OS unless there was some good reason to. You won't gain anything just because it is a server OS except maybe complexity. If you aren't sure of the reasons, stick to a desktop OS...

If you could give a little more information about what you trying to accomplish, I may be able to provide you with better guidance.

HTPC4ME

would u mind if i pm'd you to have this conversation?

HTPC4ME

i notice your from TB... umm MN?

right now i have  a 16 bay das hooked up to main pc which has MANY periphials, programs, addons, eyecandy, etc on it. She Hiccups often.

GOALS TO ACCOMPLISH

PUSH PICTURES TO PICTURE FRAMES around the house... CONSTANT CHANGING EVERY 1 MINUTE (FUTURE NEED)

ALLOW TO REMOTE INTO SERVER AND MAIN MACHINES IF I NEED TO.

SETUP SERVER MEANING... FRIENDS, FAMILY CAN ACCESS FILES TO DOWNLOAD\STREAM ONLY! GIVE EACH USER THE ABILITY TO UPLOAD FILES TO ONE CERTAIN LOCATION

ANTI VIRUS.

ABILITY TO RUN WEBSITE

I'M PLANNING ON BUYING A 16 BAY SERVER TO SERVE AND USE MY OLD ONE FOR BACKUPS ONLY... WHEN I TURN ON THE 16 DAS IT DOES MY BACKUPS(OR IF POSSIBLE SETUP UP AUTOMATIC BACKUPS TURN ON UNIT, BACKUP UNIT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD OR INTERNAL NETWORK... ONLY USED FOR BACKUPS AND SETUP SECURELY BY BEST ROUTE SUGGESTED. ( I know about Raid But WILL NOT take the chance) meaning i do hdd backup to hdd backup) RIGHT NOW ALL MY BACKUPS ARE STORED IN A SAFE, EVERY WEEK I PULL THEM OUT PUT THEM IN DOCKING STATION AND SYNC THEM. (ALOT OF WORK!)

ABILITY TO BACK UP ALL SYSTEMS (6 PC'S) TO ONE BACKUP DRIVE ON THE BACKUP SERVER.

ABILITY TO STREAM WEBCAMS\SECURITY SYSTEM IN THE FUTURETO MY CELL PHONES LAPTOPS (FUTURE NEED)

ABILITY TO USE KVM SWITCH FOR MONITORS MOUSE, KEYBOARD ON SERVER.

no work will be done on the server (ONLY STORAGE AND STREAMING) Friend suggested i do threading.. meaning using the servers processors which would then increase jriver import times, and encoding times on main pc etc.. i'm leary about going this route, due to lack of knowledge but i must admit it does sound appealing.

knowledge on how to setup jriver to serve all computers, phones in the house and around the world where ever i am.

thats all i can think of for now.  if there are other things to consider please let me know.

thank you.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd

I'm from Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada. Just north of Minniapolis. I go there fairly often lately...

Wow, thats a lot to mull over. I'll have to do some digesting of what you want to do and get back to you later. I'm hoping to have some time on Monday...

HTPC4ME

thats cool. My GF is from GP, we go there often to go hiking, rendevous days, fishing etc. I Love it There!

i'll pm you for server stuff, so we don't fill up this thread due to the fact its personal comp issues.

Pages: [1]   Go Up