INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync device through wifi LAN  (Read 1344 times)

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
Sync device through wifi LAN
« on: December 27, 2009, 03:25:25 am »

With all these smart phones and wireless capabilities, I think that there should be an app for the Android operating system, or even...ug...iPhone...that lets us sync our phones with MC when connected to the LAN. Right now the bluetooth doesn't work too well at all, and its slow. The app should be a very simple "Connect to MC and Sync Device".  No bells and whistles. Let the computer do all the work and just send the data to the phone like it was connected with the USB cord. I would like to be able to wake up in the morning and have my recorded TV shows already on my phone.

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Sync device through wifi LAN
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:00:19 pm »

so.....?

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:32:39 am »

With all these smart phones and wireless capabilities, I think that there should be an app for the Android operating system, or even...ug...iPhone...that lets us sync our phones with MC when connected to the LAN
If you can map the memory card of the device as if it's a regular network drive over wifi, then this should be straight forward. This is because you'll be able to sync as if the phone is just another "mass storage device". But that, of course, is up to the manufacturer and some manufacturers (Apple?) may not want you to.

I'm receiving a Sony Ericsson W995 today which can do this. (As far as I understand from various forum discussions). This is one of the major reasons why I'm buying this particular device. The memory card then has the network path \\W995_01\MemoryCard or something similar.

The good thing about this is that then we don't have to rely on Microsoft Active Sync (the horror...) or something similar.

I'll keep you posted...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 12:45:59 pm »

A word of warning... I've tried to use MC to sync to a "generic handheld" that was a UNC path to a windows share on my LAPTOP via 802.11n, and eventually had to abandon it because I had nothing but problems.  The sync would work some days without issue (except for being quite slow), but then other days would completely fail, requiring a restart of BOTH the laptop and the machine doing the syncing in order to get Windows Explorer to respond again.

I suspect that this unreliability is why no major handset manufacturer has officially supported full WiFi sync so far.  I think the problem really has nothing to do with MC per-say, and has much more to do with the Windows network file copy behavior being flaky and unreliable (particularly in Vista and Windows 7).  It doesn't handle minor transmission errors well, and just assumes that network storage will perform just like local storage only slower.

What I've taken to doing now is to sync MC to a folder on my local drive, and then I use SyncBack SE on my laptop to sync this folder to my laptop.  This process is dramatically faster (despite being a two-step process) and is much more reliable, because SyncBack is designed to handle network paths much better than the built-in Windows file copy processes.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:23:45 pm »

How about we just have the ability, through MC, to sync to device over wifi?
Huh?
Huh?
Pages: [1]   Go Up