INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does "Analyze Audio" via Library Import - write Replay Gain values to the tags?  (Read 1088 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Doing some routine file maintenance here today as I prepare for the v14 upgrade and noticed a real eye-opener.

I installed v14, created a new library location and adjusted the Auto import parameters including M:\Music as the sole "Auto Import" target and made sure to set "Analyze Audio" under Options. Then I clicked Run Auto Import to see what v14 would see.

I was stunned to see that only about 7200 of the 9000 tracks had "stored" audio analysis values (Replay Gain) while the other 1800 had to be "re-analyzed".  When that was finally complete - I did some digging around and looked specifically at a few albums that I imported within the last week. These are all FLAC format BTW. And when I peered into the actual FLAC details on some of the very newest tracks - I see no Replay Gain data store within the tag. Conversely - I looked at an album that I pulled in 6 months ago and the Replay Gain data is clearly embedded right in the tag.

Then I decided to right click on one of these files with no hard replay gain tag and chose Library Tools->Analyze Audio. Of course MC shows a "replay gain" value in the dialog. So I unchecked the box that says "Skip analyzed files" and ran the audio analysis again to have it recalculate and rewrite the value. Then after checking the FLAC tag again - I could now see the tag data written right to the tag.

So - my first question - when MC does Analyze Audio from the Auto-Import settings when scanning an import location - does it simply write the audio analysis (replay-gain data) only to the library - and not the file tag itself? If so - why not?

And I assume the "Update Tags (From Library) process - would take stored audio analysis (replay gain) date from the library and write it to the file tags? I tested - and this seems to be the case.

Cheers!

VP

Robo983

• World Citizen

Bumping this one up even though it is a little old but it addresses my specific question better than the others and I did not see an answer to this one.

Although all of my audio is in MP3 format, I am seeing a behavior in MC14 that makes me think it is not writing the tags or reading the MP3 gain values that were showing in MC13. I have noticed this for a while but sort of blew it off. I am slowly converting my PCs over to 14 from 13. I had been doing all of my new music import in MC13 letting it handle the analyzing for MP3 gain.

What I have noticed almost certainly is that files analyzed in MC13 get reanalyzed in MC14 when I do an auto import of the same files that MC13 analyzed. I did this in reverse yesterday. I let MC14 analyze the audio then imported with MC13 and then MC13 proceeded to reanalyze what MC14 just did. After MC13 got done with those same files I imported them to MC14 and then it proceeded to Reanalyze again the same files.

The first time MC14 analyzed it was on my laptop via a USB drive of audio I am converting the files names and tags (sort of quarantined from my main audio). After I analyzed it on the LT I use a sync program to copy them to my shared music folder then I run MC to import the newly transferred music files. If the Replay gain tags were written to the file the first time I analyzed I do not see why MC would try to reanalyze just because I moved the files.

Is there a new setting in MC14 to force reading/writing the Replay Gain to the tags in the file?

MC13 Build 171
MC14 Build 118
Win XP SP3
Pages: [1]   Go Up