INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assistance with MC14 upgrade on secondary home PC  (Read 1260 times)

Oldcrow

• Recent member
Assistance with MC14 upgrade on secondary home PC
« on: January 01, 2010, 09:26:26 pm »

I initially purchased JRiver Media Jukebox software, and since have subsequently bought the upgrades of MC12, 13, and now 14.  Each has been a hassle to upgrade on my secondary home PC.  I purchased the MC 14 upgrade yesterday on 12/31/09, have received the confirming email message with the following instructions:

“Your web purchase should have activated Media Center on your PC automatically. If you have another PC, you can use the attached Install Key for the next 14 days. Just save the Install Key on a floppy disk or other media, then execute it on the second PC where you have Media Center installed.”

My secondary PC presently has MC12 installed, since the same difficulty occurred last year and the MC13 upgrade, was never completed.  After downloading the install key on a flash drive and attempting to open it on the secondary PC, The following dialogue box comes up:

“Information –
   Error restoring Media Center license:  Unknown error.”

Can you please clarify, and give specific steps to successfully upgrade the secondary PC.  Perhaps I don’t really understand how this aspect of the upgrade process is meant to occur.
Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Assistance with MC14 upgrade on secondary home PC
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 09:54:51 pm »

The Purchase link above has complete information, but it seems that you're trying to use an MC14 license with a copy of MC12.  That won't work.  The license must match the version.

See the Purchase link for info on how to have our system e-mail you your licenses.  It's an option on the Restore Page.

Oldcrow

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 03:35:02 pm »

Thanks JH for the reference to the Purchase link, however as a tech stupid old doctor, I’m still very confused about versions, licenses, registration codes, install keys, restores, etc. and how they relate to getting the purchased MC14 upgrade on the secondary computer.

It’s my belief that the MC 14.0.96 that I have successfully installed as an upgrade on home desktop, and received an email with a registration code, allows me for the single upgrade price to also install MC14 on my laptop.  Am I correct so far?

My experience last year on 12/29/08 when I attempted upgrades to MC13, I find on checking my visa bill that I was billed twice (2x$19.95)  for the upgrades, but only was able to install MC13 on the desktop.  That is why I still have MC12.0.534 on the laptop.  Therefore if one upgrade fee covers both my units I’d like to not pay $24.98 double this year simply because I didn’t grow up in the digital era.

Some troubling questions to clarify, please:
Does one upgrade fee allow for two home installs?
Does this consist of one license and one registration code for both units?
What does the install key do?  Same key for both machines?
One first upgrade, I hit download MC14 … paid for it and received the Registration code email with an attachment.  Must I repeat this procedure for laptop?  And if so, what do I do to avoid the double bill?
What is restore for?
What do I have to do the laptop with MC12 to upgrade to MC14?

Sorry for so many questions, but the forum is JRiver’s system rather than a live body that could definitely have served my understanding more directly from the lower end of the learning curve.  Every discipline has its jargon used among professionals, but not usually the best choice for non-technical clients needing the service.

Thanks for some clarity,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 03:49:29 pm »

Thanks JH for the reference to the Purchase link, however as a tech stupid old doctor, I’m still very confused about versions, licenses, registration codes, install keys, restores, etc. and how they relate to getting the purchased MC14 upgrade on the secondary computer.

It’s my belief that the MC 14.0.96 that I have successfully installed as an upgrade on home desktop, and received an email with a registration code, allows me for the single upgrade price to also install MC14 on my laptop.  Am I correct so far?
Correct.
My experience last year on 12/29/08 when I attempted upgrades to MC13, I find on checking my visa bill that I was billed twice (2x$19.95)  for the upgrades,
That can happen if you either purchase twice, or you purchase once, then back through the purchase screen.  That's true of other sites as well.  If you let us know, we would fix it.
but only was able to install MC13 on the desktop.
I'll assume you're done trying.
  That is why I still have MC12.0.534 on the laptop.  Therefore if one upgrade fee covers both my units I’d like to not pay $24.98 double this year simply because I didn't grow up in the digital era.

Some troubling questions to clarify, please:
Does one upgrade fee allow for two home installs?
Yes.
Does this consist of one license and one registration code for both units?
It's one license (Registration Code) only.
What does the install key do?  Same key for both machines?
That's in the link above.  It's a temporary key that works for 14 days.
One first upgrade, I hit download MC14 … paid for it and received the Registration code email with an attachment.  Must I repeat this procedure for laptop? 
No.  You can click on the Install Key (for 14 days). 
What is restore for?
To get a new Install Key.
What do I have to do the laptop with MC12 to upgrade to MC14?
Install MC14.  Then click on a good Install Key.

Sorry for so many questions, but the forum is JRiver’s system rather than a live body that could definitely have served my understanding more directly from the lower end of the learning curve.  Every discipline has its jargon used among professionals, but not usually the best choice for non-technical clients needing the service.

Thanks for some clarity,
You're welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up