INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO issue with EMU hardware  (Read 5043 times)

james_smith1976

• Recent member
ASIO issue with EMU hardware
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:26:30 pm »

ASIO driver doesn't appear to work (no audio output - track appears to buffer but stays at 0.00) in verison 14.0.118. In version 14.0.096 I get random clicks and pops on 48 kHz audio using ASIO drivers.

No such issues with MC 13.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: ASIO issues
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:35:08 pm »

The sound card may not be set up for ASIO.   If you have Vista or Win7, try WASAPI.  Explore our wiki above.

james_smith1976

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 04:49:31 pm »

As I said, MC13 works fine with ASIO and my sound card, which has a fully compatable ASIO driver (E-MU 0404USB)

I've just tried 14.0.118 again. It's really odd. After a while of starting the track (and nothing coming out) it emits a periodic (about once per second) beeping noise that varies in pitch.

I was avoiding WASAPI as I have to manually match the sampling frequency of my sound card (in it’s ‘PatchMix’ interface)/the Windows default setting (via control panel) and the audio file itself - i.e. all three things every time I switch between files with different sampling frequencies.

Besides, shouldn't the ASIO ouput just work?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 04:53:44 pm »

Did you try the settings for ASIO?

Yes. ASIO should just work.

Try simplifying what you're trying to do.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 05:39:52 pm »

I am having the same issue with 118 and my EMU card on XP.  I am using the pci version of the 0404 card.  Was working fine on 13 and earlier versions of 14.  Not sure which 14 I was running prior to last night when it was working (94 maybe?)  but when I upgraded to 118 last night I have exactly the same thing happen.  no audio with ASIO peppered with little chirps.  I tried a few things and switched it back to DirectSound until I can get ASIO working again. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 09:10:35 pm »

Try unchecking the 'Use large hardware buffers' ASIO option in Options > Playback > Output mode settings...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

james_smith1976

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 06:32:05 am »

Arghh, thought I'd tried that - thanks Matt!

This option seemed to be usable in previous version so I wonder why it's an issue with .118?

Interstingly, the issue with clicks and pops playing 48 kHz files in .096 seems to have gone in .118.

HiFiTubes

Re: ASIO issue with EMU hardware
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 08:23:48 am »

Glad Jim pointed me to this thread. I got to work and tried my ASIO4ALL setup; like my 1616M at home, playback was not working.

Unchecking the buffer allowed playback but it's not working properly. Any buffer setting in ASIO4ALL results in clicks and pops.

Can someone explain exactly what's changed in MC14 since my replacement 1616M arrived (my system was down for 3 months at home) and last night I could not for the life of me figure out what was wrong as I had never really noticed or needed that checkbox unticked.

EDIT - My work system is an Audigy 2 ZS and I'm awaiting some hardware (for headamp rig) so I'm new to ASIO4ALL (Creative ASIO doesn't seem to work at 24/96), anyway, settings neet to be adjusted to allow clean playback:

Hardware buffer enabled fixes the problem.

How does this affect our latency settings in PATCHMIX. I'll hope this fix will apply to my 1616M at home using the EMU ASIO which does not have a hardware buffer setting but hopefully uses hardware by default or something similarly efficacious.

thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 08:29:00 am »

Unchecking the buffer allowed playback but it's not working properly. Any buffer setting in ASIO4ALL results in clicks and pops.
Is it this?
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DAC_Settings

HiFiTubes

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 08:50:46 am »

No, but thanks. I just tried WASAPI which have been planning to do and the default settings work great.

I do think the wording could be changed to:  "Need by most hardware".

My understanding is only the Benchmark and Empircal Audio DACs are true 24bit, whereas 99% of others will need the 32bit padding.

I'll admit I didn't know I could use WASAPI for my PCI sound card; I thought it was something designed and devoted to USB DACS/soundcards. Cool. I'll try it home again on my Peachtree Nova; when I tried 3 months ago it didn't work but I'll tweak some settings this time (and I think a bug was reported and correct since then).

HiFiTubes

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 09:11:10 am »

Hi James,

I noticed in Windows 7 that I too have to match the sample rate in Windows Sound Controls. I just can't remember if this was affecting ASIO which it shoudn't but I seem to remember it might have strangely enough.

I thought WASAPI would allow auto-switching of sample rates but I guess not as PATCHMIX locks the sample rate for wav host or ASIO no matter what.

I usually just leave Patchmix at 96kHz and upsample in MC14 as I have a good amount of native 96kHz material (vinyl rips & HDtracks downloads).

Can't wait to get home, glue my hair back on, and get my system working again.

As I said, MC13 works fine with ASIO and my sound card, which has a fully compatable ASIO driver (E-MU 0404USB)

I've just tried 14.0.118 again. It's really odd. After a while of starting the track (and nothing coming out) it emits a periodic (about once per second) beeping noise that varies in pitch.

I was avoiding WASAPI as I have to manually match the sampling frequency of my sound card (in it’s ‘PatchMix’ interface)/the Windows default setting (via control panel) and the audio file itself - i.e. all three things every time I switch between files with different sampling frequencies.

Besides, shouldn't the ASIO ouput just work?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 09:47:51 am »

Try unchecking the 'Use large hardware buffers' ASIO option in Options > Playback > Output mode settings...

These seems to have worked for me as well.  I also am using the native EMU ASIO.  Something changed in 118.  (or possibly one or two stable releases back)

james_smith1976

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 11:01:55 am »

Hi James,

I noticed in Windows 7 that I too have to match the sample rate in Windows Sound Controls. I just can't remember if this was affecting ASIO which it shoudn't but I seem to remember it might have strangely enough.

I thought WASAPI would allow auto-switching of sample rates but I guess not as PATCHMIX locks the sample rate for wav host or ASIO no matter what.

I usually just leave Patchmix at 96kHz and upsample in MC14 as I have a good amount of native 96kHz material (vinyl rips & HDtracks downloads).

Can't wait to get home, glue my hair back on, and get my system working again.

It doesn't affect ASIO as the sample rate adjustments bypass Windows and Patchmix happily skips from one sampling frequency to another.
The issue with WASAPI is that the settings have to match the file properties (or as in your case the transport has to up or down sample to the frequency set in Patchmix and Windows).
I think if you have everything set to 96 kHz you will be ok – until you play something outside of Media Center that doesn’t up-sample or isn’t native 96 kHz.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 10:29:40 am »

I'm able to use WASAPI on my Creative ZS2 at work with MC upsampling to 96khZ and the device set to 96kHz in Windows Sound Manager.

At home, I tested the same thing and WASAPI works on the 1616M with Patchmix set at 96kHz.

I'm finding some glitches with various ASIO, either EMU or Creative when using JRiver.

At work, JRiver claims when using the Creative ASIO or ZS ASIO, that neither supports 96kHz, when they in fact do as I can use ASIO4ALL on this device.

At home JRiver claims that my EMU device does not support 96kHz when using WASAPI, when it does. I got it to work the other day when I toggled the option to present padded 32bit to the DAC, then neither option worked.

Pages: [1]   Go Up