INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shortcut on Desktop for each of my libraries!  (Read 1926 times)

chriswale

• World Citizen
Shortcut on Desktop for each of my libraries!
« on: September 10, 2009, 08:39:13 am »

Feature request:
I would like the ability to add shortcuts on my desktop to the various libraries that I have created in JRiver Media Center.

For instance, I have a library for my:
- Music
- Personal Photos & Videos
- Movie Series

Instead of opening Media Center and then having to change between the libraries. This feature would allow me to jump right into the library of my choice.
What do you think?

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Shortcut on Desktop for each of my libraries!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 08:53:46 am »

you can do that and tons of other stuff with the MC14.exe, checkout http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DevZone if you have not already done that  :)

example
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MC13.exe
parameter: /Library "name"

if you run multiple instances and want open up a "new" when mc already is running, you have to write to the registry first edit..if you want to start your prefered library at once, if you dont want to write to the registry..you can 1) open Media Center 14.exe then 2) run the parameter for your library
MT5FR

chriswale

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:16:41 am »

huh?

You have totally lost me.  I'm not a programmer...

Perhaps you could give me guidelines on how to create the shortcut for Media Center 14?

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:24:59 pm »

open notepad
write C:\WINDOWS\system32\MC14.exe /Library "nameofyourlibrary"

without quotes

save as library.bat

Run

this works ok if you don't use multiple instances..if you do use multiple instances and want a cleaner startup for each library PM me..
MT5FR

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 08:31:40 am »

Lasse-Lus, if you have a way to open two libraries at once in two separate instances of MC, please let me know.  I have the shortcuts to open my Docs library and my Main library. But as you say, the shortcuts don't work to open a second instance of MC. This is what I need.

Ideally I would have one shortcut to open both instances at once (each pointing to a different library) for those times I know I want to open both right now.

But more important is the ability for individual shortcuts to each library to "know" if MC is alreay open and to open a 2nd instance accordingly.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 08:44:11 am »

Lise,
Check the option under Tools/Options/General/Advanced for "allow multiple instances".

-20F here this morning.  I hope things are warmer with you.

Jim

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:23:30 am »

Lise,
Check the option under Tools/Options/General/Advanced for "allow multiple instances".

-20F here this morning.  I hope things are warmer with you.

Jim

Jim, I have that selected. It makes no difference. The shortcuts (C:\Windows\System32\MC14.exe /Library mc14) will not open a 2nd instance of the program. 

The shortcut to the 'real' program ("C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 14\Media Center 14.exe") DOES open a 2nd instance, but it always opens a 2nd instance of the currently open database in read-only mode, which means I have to then change the library.

-20. Ah, the nice rosy cheeks!  It's a nice -15 here. Nice break from the past few days where it was really friggin cold.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

gappie

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 12:19:56 pm »

i also tried to use the /library switch to open two libs besides eachother. it would be very nice if one could play music in one and do some work in the other, but that is nearly not possible now. would be nice if it would though.

wish it was spring.

:)
gab

mnemoth

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 10:08:39 pm »

Jim, I have that selected. It makes no difference. The shortcuts (C:\Windows\System32\MC14.exe /Library mc14) will not open a 2nd instance of the program. 

The shortcut to the 'real' program ("C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 14\Media Center 14.exe") DOES open a 2nd instance, but it always opens a 2nd instance of the currently open database in read-only mode, which means I have to then change the library.

I have two shortcuts on the desktop one for my local library and and one for a library of media on a NAS shared on my home network. Using the /Library switch and the "multiple instances" option allow two open at the same time. However the "Second" instance is always opened in "Read Only".

So if I want to work on my "Net Library" I start that one first. Then the "Local" one which I can then play from while I work in the other. 

Ciao,
M
Pages: [1]   Go Up