INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC14 + Windows WON'T Auto SLEEP/suspend  (Read 21450 times)

jacky

• World Citizen
MC14 + Windows WON'T Auto SLEEP/suspend
« on: January 04, 2010, 07:09:07 pm »

With MC14 loaded, the PC will not sleep automatically after the set windows power management sleep timer counts to zero. 

Here are the results from powercfg -requests

C:\Users\media.VERSALIFE>powercfg -requests

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] \FileSystem\rdbss
A file has been opened across the network. File name: [\server\Media Library RAI
D\Databases\JRiver Media Center\lock.jmd] Process ID: [5136]
A file has been opened across the network. File name: [\server\Media Library RAI
D\Databases\JRiver Media Center\field (media type).jmd] Process ID: [5136]
D\Databases\JRiver Media Center\curplaylist.jmd] Process ID: [5136]
D\Databases\JRiver Media Center\field (filename).jmd] Process ID: [5136]
D\Databases\JRiver Media Center\field (name).jmd] Process ID: [5136]
D\Databases\JRiver Media Center\field (track #).jmd] Process ID: [5136]
D\Databases\JRiver Media Center\field (artist).jmd] Process ID: [5136]
D\Databases\JRiver Media Center\field (album).jmd] Process ID: [5136]
D\Databases\JRiver Media Center\field (genre).jmd] Process ID: [5136]
D\Databases\JRiver Media Center\field (date modified).jmd] Process ID: [5136]
D\Databases\JRiver Media Center\field (file size).jmd] Process ID: [5136]

AWAYMODE:
None.

Can MC14 please allow auto sleep?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC14 + Windows WON'T Auto SLEEP/suspend
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:28:37 pm »

Hey, I didn't even know about the "powercfg -requests" switch.  That's neat!

But to your point, why is opening a file preventing a sleep?  I mean, we'll read the file if the computer is awake, but it's not a reason to _keep_ the computer awake.  Does anyone have any more information about this?

We have special sleep handling code to prevent sleep, but it only engages when you're recording television, watching something fullscreen, etc.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 03:45:09 pm »

Are you aware of the hidden power property that can allow a system to sleep whilst network shares are open?

You can either set this via the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), or you can enable it to appear in Power Properties by opening Regedit and going to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Control\ Power\ PowerSettings\ 238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\d4c1d4c8-d5cc-43d3-b83e-fc51215cb04d]

In there, set Attributes to 0 (the default value is 1, which means hide).

Now, when you look in Power Properties you should see an option to allow sleep whilst network files are open (sorry, can't remember the precise wording because I'm on my Vista machine right now, and it doesn't support this setting as far as I can tell). Set it to Yes.
source: http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/75159/406733.aspx

In Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc):

Computer Configuration » Administrative Templates » System » Power Management » Sleep Settings:

Turn on the Ability for Applications to Prevent Sleep Transitions (Plugged In)  --> Enabled
Specify the System Hibernate Timeout (Plugged In) --> Enabled --> System Hibernate Timeout (seconds): 18748800 (31 days)
Require a Password When a Computer Wakes (Plugged In) --> Enabled
Specify the System Sleep Timeout (Plugged In) --> Enabled --> System Sleep Timeout (seconds): 18748800 (31 days)
Turn Off Hybrid Sleep (Plugged In) --> Enabled
Allow Standby States (S1-S3) When Sleeping (Plugged In) --> Disabled
Allow Standby States (S1-S3) When Sleeping (On Battery) --> Disabled
Allow Applications to Prevent Automatic Sleep (Plugged In) --> Enabled
Allow Applications to Prevent Automatic Sleep (On Battery) --> Enabled
Allow Automatic Sleep with Open Network Files (Plugged In) --> Disabled
Allow Automatic Sleep with Open Network Files (On Battery) --> Disabled
Turn on the Ability for Applications to Prevent Sleep Transitions (On Battery) --> Enabled
Specify the System Hibernate Timeout (On Battery) --> Enabled --> System Hibernate Timeout (seconds): 18748800 (31 days)
Require a Password When a Computer Wakes (On Battery) --> Enabled
Specify the System Sleep Timeout (On Battery) --> Enabled --> System Sleep Timeout (seconds): 18748800 (31 days)
Turn Off Hybrid Sleep (On Battery) --> Enabled
Specify the Unattended Sleep Timeout (Plugged In) --> Enabled --> Unattended Sleep Timeout (seconds): 18748800 (31 days)
Specify the Unattended Sleep Timeout (On Battery) --> Enabled --> Unattended Sleep Timeout (seconds): 18748800 (31 days)

However, in 1-2 hours, the system has went to sleep and I can't awake it because the system hangs... I have upgraded the motherboard BIOS (Asus P6T) to the newest one, and in power I have the following configuration:

Suspend Mode: Auto [available: S1 (POS) Only; S3 Only; Auto]
Repost Video on S3 Resume: No [available: No; Yes]
ACPI 2.0 Support: Disabled [available: Disabled; Enabled]
ACPI APIC Support: Enabled [available: Enabled; Disabled]

Please help me, I don't know what to do.

Thank you very much.
source: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/62d73596-e0f6-4fdd-b694-08bac10e91b7/

However, it applies only to Windows 7.  But I'm using Windows Vista.  Please find a solution for this problem.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:22:22 pm »

Would you mind trying a local library (i.e. C:\) to see if the issue only applies to network libraries?

Most files we don't keep open.  I wonder if the read matters, or just files kept open?  We keep lock.jmd open because that's how we handle multiple clients connecting to a single shared folder.

Thanks.

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 06:05:34 pm »

I think I have the same experience, using a local library, MC14, Windows XP or Windows Vista.

Consider these three MC computers on my home LAN:
PC1 - Manage LOCAL drive music library. No remote server access, ever.
PC2 - Play LOCAL drive music library. No remote server access, ever.
PC3 - Manage LOCAL drive photo library, AND usually run MC server, in case I want to view photos on another PC.

On any of these PCs, if MC is open in a visible window, it seems the computer will not auto-sleep/suspend. I've tried every Windows setting, nothing matters.

On PC1 and PC2, MC is not doing anything explicitly -- no network access, no server connection, etc.

On any of the PCs I can manually suspend/sleep and it seems to stay asleep. But they won't go there when Windows counts down and tries to force sleep.

If MC is not the foreground window, *sometimes* the computer will sleep, but not reliably. If MC is not open, the PC goes to sleep on schedule.

Even with MC open, other Windows timer actions seem to happen as expected -- display off, drive off. Only sleep fails.

(In fact, the display will go off after a specified time even while MC is actively playing, an "opposite" annoyance. During the day I have to remember to jiggle the mouse of my playback PC now and then to remind Windows to keep the monitor on.

I wonder if MC's Auto Import is doing folder checking in a way that prevents sleep?

OR, since there IS an MC library server on my network, does every MC client keep communicating with it, even when MC is not using the remote library? Does MC server advertise itself, or does MC client send a query?

OR, something else to check?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:55:56 pm »

Would you mind trying a local library (i.e. C:\) to see if the issue only applies to network libraries?

Most files we don't keep open.  I wonder if the read matters, or just files kept open?  We keep lock.jmd open because that's how we handle multiple clients connecting to a single shared folder.

Thanks.

this only applies to network shares

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:15:50 am »

I had two machines with sleep problems.  Last weekend, I changed their Windows power settings back to defaults.  The problems seem to have gone away on one.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 01:09:41 am »

Mine does not hibernate nor standby when MC is open ... but since my Computer is new and I didn't investigate closer I cannot guarantee that it's MC related ...
tom

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 04:26:26 pm »

Mine does not hibernate nor standby when MC is open ... but since my Computer is new and I didn't investigate closer I cannot guarantee that it's MC related ...
tom

Is your library on a network?

If so, we're still trying to figure out how to solve this.

Thanks.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 12:37:32 am »

Hmmm ... the library database is local, the music files are on the network.
thx

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 01:06:38 am »

What are the power settings for your network adapter?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 01:28:18 am »

My HTPC (Win 7 32-Bit) goes to sleep just fine with MC using a Library on a NW Share.   In fact it has issues with MC being unresponsive for some time when the HTPC comes OUT of sleep...
JRiver CEO Elect

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 05:58:41 am »

very unproven as of yet, so take this with a pinch of salt, but i have a lot of trouble coming out of screen saver if mc is the visible window. using w7-32.  if my tv goes to sleep and mc is active window, i can't get tv to refresh/start without putting machine to sleep and re-awakening.  this may not be an mc thing but may instead be something to do with hdmi interface (i.e. happens mostly when mc active window, but wouldn't bet my house that it is exclusive to mc, yet)
craig

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 07:10:54 am »

very unproven as of yet, so take this with a pinch of salt, but i have a lot of trouble coming out of screen saver if mc is the visible window. using w7-32.  if my tv goes to sleep and mc is active window, i can't get tv to refresh/start without putting machine to sleep and re-awakening.  this may not be an mc thing but may instead be something to do with hdmi interface (i.e. happens mostly when mc active window, but wouldn't bet my house that it is exclusive to mc, yet)
If you don't stop playback before the machine goes to sleep, on resume everything may wait until the disk spins up and playback has begun again.  Stopping playback is the first thing to try.  I use this all the time, and don't see a problem on Vista.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Can't power off display in Theater View
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 10:32:21 am »

I have what might be a related problem.  I use Eventghost and the "Power off display" command to blank out the display and put it in a "power-saving mode".  When I first open MC it seems to work ok.  If I open Theater View this no longer works (and I do not have the "disable screen saver in Theater View" option checked).  Then when I go back to Standard View this still no longer works even though it did before opening Theater View.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 03:35:37 am »

What are the power settings for your network adapter?
I'am not aware of that I can do specific settings for network ... are you talking about XP? where should these settings be?

thx

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 02:58:37 am »

I am experiencing similar problems with MC15. Was this problem ever solved?

Thanks,
Osho

MusicHawk

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 02:31:31 pm »

Confirming, same problem with MC14.0.165 client AND server running on XP.

The various Windows timer settings to shut off monitor, shut off drive, eventually sleep the computer, all used to work when MC is open, on Playing Now screen (not Theater), but not playing anything.

In fact, the monitor used to shut off (per timer) even when MC IS playing something, showing visualizations, cover art, etc. Only a touch to the keyboard/mouse would keep the screen on.

But now, with no known changes except updating MC14 a few times,  the computer almost always stays wide awake unless manually put to sleep.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »

I was able to solve this issue by doing

powercfg -requestsoverride PROCESS "Media Center 15.exe" Display System Awaymode

Depending on your set-up, you may have to run this few times for each of the entry you find by doing command:

powercfg -requests

Osho
Pages: [1]   Go Up