INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I copy files from one drive to another without loosing all tags?  (Read 1308 times)

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck

I am setting up a new computer that has a much larger hard "C" drive than my old one. My plan is to consolidate all the files in the new C drive, then return the two USB drives to the original computer. I managed to set it up just like my old one, with custom view schemes and tags. I connected the two USB drives from my old computer, restored, the library and the registery was transfered. All was good up to that point. I then copied the files from one of the USB drives to the new C drive using the JRiver "Tree". No problem copying, them, but I can't figure out how to make them come up with tags in my view scheme. Importing the "C" folders into the library didn't seem to help. The new path to the C drive does not show. My plan is to remove the USB drives and reconnect them to my old computer. But how can I "re-import" or get the files copied into the C drive to appear with proper tags and artwork?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How do I copy files from one drive to another without loosing all tags?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:38:25 am »

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you've done.  But here are a few things that might help.

If the drive changes from your old setup to your new one, MC won't find files until you use the Library Tool called find and replace, changing for example, D: to C:.

View schemes are not stored in the library.  glynor had a post or a wiki article around discussing moving registry keys, etc.

Tags may or may not be stored in files, depending on your settings in MC.  Search for "tag" in options (top window).

If tags are in the files, but they don't show up in MC, or vice versa, you can use a Library Tool to move them.

Registry entries are stored in both Local Machine and User.

Good luck.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I copy files from one drive to another without loosing all tags?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:53:10 pm »

View schemes are not stored in the library. 
yes they are  :) maybe not all settings of it, but all the views are stored in the library.

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up