INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Names  (Read 2005 times)

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
Library Names
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:44:18 am »

Hi,

When you go to File / Library and you have the choice of

defailt -your local library

defailt (1) - Library from other PC

Is it posible to name the libraries to make them more easy to identify ?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Library Names
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:38:01 am »

You can rename (edit), duplicate (edit > clone), add (existing libraries that are in a disk folder, but not in the current MC instance), create new (add, point to a new empty folder), delete, and load libraries with Library Manager.

File > Library > Library Manager...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:56:25 am »

Thanks, I've changed the name of the local library on both PCs one is now called Vista and the other called MacMini, but if I go to file / library I still get the choice

Vista
Default (1)

and from the other PC

MacMini
Default (1)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 11:16:28 am »

They are just local names that are displayed only in the local use interface. The name is not saved in the library files on the disk.

The following should work:

Vista
MacMini

and from the other PC

MacMini
Vista

i.e. change all four names by hand.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 11:33:36 am »

I tried that - If I go into Library manager

choose default (1)

edit

change the name

I get "A Library already exists at that location. Please choose another location"

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:23:19 pm »

Hmm...  It works for me.

As a test I did the following:

- select the first library and press Edit

- rename and press Ok

- select the second library and press Edit

- rename and press Ok

- both libraries have now a new name

Did you do something differently?

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:48:21 pm »

Thats exactly what i did, the only difference i can see is the location:

top one now shows Vista and location C:\User\etc.etc so thats fine

the one I'm trying to change shows

Default (1)  location 192.168 etc etc

and when you hit the OK button to save the new name the location shows 

m01p://192.168.etc etc

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 02:07:17 pm »

Oh I see, you are trying to rename a Library Server connection.

I thought you wanted to use a remotely located library database as a standard library without a Library Server connection.

You can safely delete the "Default (1)" entry (you must have a different library loaded before you can do that) and create a new stored server connection by hand - just like the "Library Server 5" item in my screenshots.

Write only the server PC's IP number and the port number (if it is not 80) to the location box. Separate the port number with a colon.  E.g. 192.168.0.5:60000

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 02:40:56 pm »

Yes thats what I'm trying to do, but I'm still not sure how..

Would'nt the ip address have to be the same as the default one ? as thats the PCs IP ?

and it will no let me use that IP as it says  - "A Library already exists at that location. Please choose another location"

Sorry I dont know much about the file structure of this program/ where there kept etc.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 02:52:13 pm »

Delete the "Default (1)" library from the list first. It is just a link to the other PC's Library Server.

Make a note of the IP address before deleting the entry so that you can easily write it to the new entry. (without the  m01p:// part).

If you have not set the Library Server on the other PC to use a specific port, the port is 80 and thus it is not needed in the location string.

EDIT

Naturally I am assuming that your router/NAT box is not constantly giving the computers and other networked devices changing addresses. Normally the addresses are maintained unless there is a shortage of free addresses or the box is reset. Probably you could also configure the computers to use static addresses in the private addresses range, but that is a bit more complicated.

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 03:05:06 pm »

Thanks Alex thats it ! thanks for all your help  :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 03:08:57 pm »

You're welcome.

... but, see also my edit above.

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 12:37:36 pm »

Delete the "Default (1)" library from the list first. It is just a link to the other PC's Library Server.

Make a note of the IP address before deleting the entry so that you can easily write it to the new entry. (without the  m01p:// part).

If you have not set the Library Server on the other PC to use a specific port, the port is 80 and thus it is not needed in the location string.

EDIT

Naturally I am assuming that your router/NAT box is not constantly giving the computers and other networked devices changing addresses. Normally the addresses are maintained unless there is a shortage of free addresses or the box is reset. Probably you could also configure the computers to use static addresses in the private addresses range, but that is a bit more complicated.

Should be ok thanks, DHCP on the route is switched on, but Lease Time is set to "Forever" so they're virtually fixed IPs
Pages: [1]   Go Up