INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible.com MC integration changes/issues.  (Read 1906 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Audible.com MC integration changes/issues.
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:50:42 pm »

I've been noticing some changes in the way MC14 integrates with Audible these days, so I'm curious to find out if these are simply changes to the paradigm, or if there are better ways of setting things up.

One of the things I discovered was that due to changes in either MC14, Audible, or both, I can no longer get the Audible download process to work "though" MC like it used to.  By this I mean that it used to work such that after browsing the Audible site via the MC window and selecting a file to download, the MC "Download" window would come up.  You'd see the download process in MC, and after it was done the file would be listed in the "Downloads" section of MC.

Now, however, I discovered that in order to get Audible files to work with MC at ALL, I needed to install the Audible Manager software.  Now when I download an Audible file, the Audible download manager window pops up, and MC is essentially "unaware" of the download process.  The MC auto import will find the file and import it, but MC does not show the process, and the file does not show up under MC's "downloads" (although it does show up under "imports.")  I tried uninstalling Audible Manager, but MC could no longer play the aa files at all after I did this.

Is there any way of getting the previous "deeper" integration between MC14 and Audible?  I always thought that the "full" Audible integration with MC, where MC would take over the actual download process, was very slick.

On this note, MC's "Audible download folder" preference setting does not work.  I actually see "Audible download folder..." repeated two or even three times when I hit the "Preferences" button at the upper right of the MC Audible window, and changing them does not stick.  On top of this, the path displayed is not obeyed (since MC is not actually doing the download -- AM is.)

Also, if Audible Manager is not installed, MC will ask for the Audible username and password when attempting to play an Audible file, but it does not work.  You need to have AM installed for it to work.  For new users, it might be a good idea to have MC inform the user that AM is needed first (unless, of course, there is a way to get it to work without AM.  Is there???)

Lastly, the Audible site has instructions for using MC11/12 with Audible, but the instructions are outdated and do not apply to MC14. Audible tech support was actually aware of JRiver MC working with Audible, but you guys might want to update your information with them.  Audible tech support told me that a lot of people think that Audible is part of iTunes, and don't realize that you can play Audible content without iTunes.  If more people knew that they could use other software to play back AND to sync to handheld devices (including iPods), it would benefit everybody.

Maybe you guys could get the Audible site to mention your software more prominently.

Thanks for any feedback on any of this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Audible.com MC integration changes/issues.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 05:39:59 am »

I'd be really interested (and grateful as well) for any feedback on these questions.  It appears that Audible functionality has changed since MC14 came out, but that MC has not changed to keep up.  The tools that MC uses for audible management are now outdated and no longer work.  You can still download and play audible files, but the actual "integration" that we had between MC13 and Audible downloading is broken.  This makes MC seem a bit "clunky" in this area since it does not work as expected (see first post of this thread.)

Is there any chance that Audible integration in MC14 will be updated in order to integrate more tightly with the current Audible system?

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 09:03:00 am »

Just bumping this with the hope that I'll get some -- any -- feedback on these questions.  I know I'm not the only audible user out there -- I just think that a lot of people don't realize that MC can be used for audible listening, or that at one time, MC actually was able to manage and control Audible downloading (this no longer works with MC14.)

I still say that JR should consider smoothing out the rough spots with MC audible integration and get their name on the audible site.  The last time I spoke with audible about how to get things working on a new system, they were extremely open to the idea of adding another app to the list of audible-capable software.  It would be nice to be able to not have to use Audible Manager at all, but even if this is not possible, it would be nice to squash some of the bugs with MC + audible that have popped up since the days of MC12 or 13.

Thanks again,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:49:37 am »

Just bumping this again.

Thanks for any feedback on the comments and questions above.

Larry

raldo

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:21:46 pm »

bump...

I tried downloading and syncing to my handheld (SE W995) but I got an error during sync and then the file was removed from the "details" list. How's this supposed to work? Will I be able to use Audible with my W995?
Pages: [1]   Go Up