INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Issue - Ch Change between DD / MPEG = Lost Audio  (Read 1614 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Audio Issue - Ch Change between DD / MPEG = Lost Audio
« on: January 10, 2010, 02:37:19 pm »

This one has come up before & I think it is the way the filters chain is build and stays build as you change channel between channels with different Audio Formats (eg some of my Channels broadcast in (2 or 5.1) some in MPEG).  Eg the issue with most filters (like the default MS ones or FFDSHOW) is if you change between say a DD channel to a MPEG channel you end up losing sound unless you do a STOP, then PLAY inbetween so the filter chain is rebuilt.  On filter seems to handle this fine is AC3Filter but it would be great if it worked for all.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Audio Issue - Ch Change between DD / MPEG = Lost Audio
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:58:01 am »

Does Right-click > TV Options > Restart Player fix it?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:49:14 pm »

Sorry no (at least not with FFSHOW).
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 03:49:02 pm »

This is a difficult issue.  In the early days of TV support we used to start from scratch for each channel change.  That was changed for smoother user experience since we would want to retain TV data buffered for the previous channel.  The MPEG-2 <-> DD switch really complicate the whole thing unless the audio decoder filter can handle the switch internally.

The "Restart player" method does not work (I should have known it without asking you to try it  :P) because the player graph is built based on the media type data written to file when the first channel is started.

I will have to think of a way to handle this.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 04:06:46 pm »

Thanks Yaobing - I'd agree that most (including myself) prefer quick ch changes and for now the solution is to use AC3Filter which handles the MPEG <-> DD changes just fine - but NOT the default MS or even FFDSHOW (though the customised DVB TV Apps must also cater for this as they work fine).  I'm not sure if they still do it, but there was an issue that some of our HD channels used to change their output format pending on what is being broadcast, if so you can not even keep the default values in a field....

Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:22:40 pm »

AC3Filter is a far superior audio codec for TV playback anyway and I would rather the situation remain as is. I'd hate for any changes in this area to compromise the retained buffered tv data OR channel change speed. As I understand it anyway, this problem is unique to the programming "styles" of Australian television only.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up