INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Playing Now > Add to end" shuffles Playing Now?  (Read 2049 times)

Scronch

"Playing Now > Add to end" shuffles Playing Now?
« on: July 02, 2002, 09:24:30 pm »

MJ8.0.315: When I highlight a group of files, and then choose "Playing Now > Add to end" while I have shuffle turned on, here is what I think would happen:

(1) The highlighted group would be shuffled.
(2) The shuffled new group is appended onto the existing playlist without re-shuffling anything in it.

But, it re-shuffles the entire Playing Now list.  In fact, it even moves the files above the current song below it, so they will get played again.

What am I doing wrong?

Scronch

Listening to: 'In the Blood' from 'Deluxe' by 'Better Than Ezra' on Media Jukebox

Scronch

RE:
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2002, 10:08:01 pm »

Same behavior in 8.0.317.

Gatobrit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
RE:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2002, 04:05:11 am »

Scronch - you're right. This is aparently by design. Add to playing now as next to play and the list is not shuffled, add to the end and it is. Weird.

Recently there was a whole discussion of the shuffle feature (check out  ) and how it is over ambitious in it's need to shuffle any time you do anything to Playing Now. Matt agreed that this needed some work but I think this is on the back-burner until the next release.

Namaste,
John

Scronch

RE:
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2002, 09:04:00 am »

I can't imagine it belongs on the back burner when it shuffles already-played songs down and plays them again.  That has got to be a bug, not a feature.

Scronch

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2002, 09:17:39 am »

Just a difference of opinion.

For now, turning on shuffle mode means that you don't care about track order.

We'll revisit how shuffle works for version 9.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Scronch

RE:
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2002, 01:59:53 pm »

Matt, I don't think I agree that it's just a difference of opinion.  "Add to end" of Playing Now should definitely not re-shuffle the whole Playing Now list, resulting in songs that have already been played being set up to play again.  This could be "reasonable" (but still not preferable) if there was an option to constantly prune off the top of the Playing Now list, i.e. the currently playing song would always be at the top of the list.

Don't you agree?

Scronch

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
RE:
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2002, 02:50:59 pm »

I guess it's well known by now that I'm with Scronch, Gatobrit...and I would assume many others.

The "Playing Now" list is often carefully built up.
Just turning on shuffle should not mess with it.
In fact it should never be shuffled without explicit user requirement to do so.

Currently there is no way to add some randomised tracks to "Playing Now" without randomising the whole, often very carefully assembled existing "Playing Now".

This was not always so.  Once it worked properly.  You could turn shuffle on and tracks were shuffled, then added, leaving the order of the existing untouched.  At that time, if your wanted to reshuffle "Playing Now" you clicked it and then overtly indicated "Reshuffle". Perfect.  Common sense.

This current behaviour may be "by design" (a favourite MS euphemism when they dumb something down, by the way) but it is not good design.

Crikey, I love how easy it is to bold stuff now!

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
RE:
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2002, 03:27:56 pm »

3. Changed: Playing Now will no longer be reshuffled when adding files to the end with shuffle mode on

Crikey, I love this whole place!

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2002, 05:02:44 pm »

Callithumpian,
> Crikey, I love this whole place!
> 06:27:56 P.M.

Let's see, subtract 8 hours, but it's tomorrow.  That makes it, more or less, give or take, 10:30 AM.  A little early for the odd pint of Foster's.  But thanks!
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
RE:"Playing Now > Add to end" shuffles Playing Now?
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2002, 02:35:27 pm »

Playing Now will no longer be reshuffled when adding files to the end with shuffle mode on
Hey you guys, you pulled the punch.
Just turning shuffle mode on still scrambles the blasted "Playing Now" list.
The change is great but its benefit is completely defeated since just hitting the shuffle button does the one thing we were trying to avoid.

Scronch

RE:
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2002, 02:57:58 pm »

Yes, and as I mentioned in the "8.0.320 available" thread, MJ8.0.320 doesn't shuffle a group of songs added to the end of PN via Send To > Playing Now - Add (to end).  And then if I clear PN, and add a different playlist to PN, it is not shuffled enroute, even though shuffle is still on.  I think the shuffle function is a little messed up in this release, but my guess is they'll have it fixed in a day or two.

But there seems to be an underlying issue here.  Shuffle used to be essentially a black box that lists were either sent through or around enroute to Playing Now.  At first that confused me, but I came to love it.  Now it appears that JRiver may want a Reshuffle button, but is trying to implement it through the shuffle function.  I've thought about this awhile, and maybe the cleanest way to do this is to change the button at the bottom ot be a Reshuffle or Shuffle Now button, and to have within the right-click menu Send To > Playing Now > and Send To > Playing Now with Shuffle >, both having the same submenu below that.  The Playing Now with Shuffle would shuffle only the list being sent to Playing Now, not the entire PN list.

Just my 2 cents at this time...

Scronch

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
RE:
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2002, 03:19:44 pm »

>> A little early for the odd pint of Foster's. But thanks!
Not Now....

A 12oz Bottle of foster's is setting right next to me.

I can hear it say "I Love You Mark"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
RE:
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2002, 03:33:19 pm »

But there seems to be an underlying issue here. Shuffle used to be essentially a black box that lists were either sent through or around enroute to Playing Now. At first that confused me, but I came to love it. Now it appears that JRiver may want a Reshuffle button, but is trying to implement it through the shuffle function.
Scronch, you have cut away the flesh and exposed the conceptual bones, I think

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
RE:
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2002, 03:47:52 pm »

Callithumpian

LOL
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Scronch

RE:
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2002, 07:25:07 pm »

I'll take that as a compliment, I think.  If I'd only been a surgeon...

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
RE:
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2002, 02:47:12 pm »

Just turning on shuffle shouldn't touch the order of "Playing Now".
There is a reshuffle function - that's its job.
You've walked 99 of the 100 miles necessary to make shuffle sensible again.
What about that last mile?

Scronch

RE:
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2002, 11:20:19 am »

bump for james bailey
Pages: [1]   Go Up