INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRSS feedback from someone with SPL calibrated stereo  (Read 2461 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
JRSS feedback from someone with SPL calibrated stereo
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:23:33 pm »

We're wondering if anyone with a calibrated stereo has an opinion about the relative volume of each channel when playing stereo sound up-converted to 5.1 using JRiver's JRSS feature.

It feels to me like the center channel is about 3 dB too loud.  But since this could vary by setup, we were wondering what others think before we make any adjustments to the algorithm.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: JRSS feedback from someone with SPL calibrated stereo
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 01:29:57 am »

Hi Matt,
I'm happy to test as I've an SPL meter (and now we have moved I need to "find" it and recalibrate anyway) but I'm not sure the best way to test for this (without physically disconnecting speakers)...unless you add a pink noise test tone to MC that rotates around the configured speakers (not a bad idea!).  Then it would be dead easy to measure and compare the SPL of each channel under both conditions.
Thanks
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:12:55 am »

Once the stereo is calibrated properly for theater surround sound, play some music using JRSS 5.1.  Then manually tweak the channel levels to your liking and report the results.

I don't think it's an empirical process but more subjective.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 04:32:08 pm »

Ok - Calibrated the AV gear, test track was a Pink song, 2ch - Played as 2CH (Yami set to Straight), 5.1 JRSS (Yami set to Straight), and for comparison the 5.1 Up Mix done by the Yami as measured/observed from one seating position.

Measured Differences:
a) 5.1Yami is 3db louder than 2ch
b) 5.1JRSS is 4.5db louder than 2ch (or 1.5db louder than the 5.1Yami)
c) Centre Channel Only (rest muted) 5.1JRSS center CH is 0.5db louder than the 5.1Yami

Observed Differences:  I think the JRSS 5.1 upmix sounds good.  The 5.1JRSS centre ch does sound more "pronounced" than the 5.1Yami but to my ears this is not a bad thing as it still gives some central focused localisation to the sound stage.  That said the overall increase in loudness always produces a positive impression in A/B tests, and 5.1JRSS is the loudest (= sounds best??).  With 5.1 upmixing there is no "one right way" just preferences.  I'd suggest you add two things to suit all tastes (especially as according to the other post you are looking at adding more "pre-amp" style features to MC):
1) Adjustable Sound Level per channel
2) Pink Noise playback per channel so you can balance the output

Result:  This was a good test for me as I like to listen to music Upmixed to 5.1 unless I'm sitting in the 2ch sweet spot (and I'm not much of a sit and listen type).  My initi8al impression was that I liked the 5.1JRSS colouration better that 5.1Yami's for Upmixing.  I also like that with JRSS it will only apply to my Music and leave the Direct Show playback untouched.  The result is potentially less switching of sound modes on the Yami to suit the source played via MC, eg I like:
a) DTV (2.0 or 5.1) = Yami's DSP-Movie settings as it places dialogue out of the Centre Channel even on 2CH sources
b) Music (2.0) = Normally 5.1 mix so I would use Yami's DSP-5.1CH Mix, when I wanted to listen as 2.0 I'd turn off Yami's DSP to Straight
c) Movies (mostly 5.1, some 2.0 music videos etc) = Either leave Yami's DSP-Movie or turn it to Straight for 5.1, and use Yami's DSP-5.1 mix for 2.0 Music Video

If I now turn on 5.1-JRSS in MC I can leave the Yami on Movie most of the time (it will process the JRSS again but....I'll have to see how it al sounds over a period).

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up