INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy Date  (Read 1031 times)

EasyEd

• Recent member
Copy Date
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:59:42 pm »

How can I copy the date in the date field to, say the Album field?  I would like the album name to be the date of the recording which I have showing as, say, 9/8/1935. When I use the library copy fields tool, it places "13035" in the Album field.  I assume that is the internal number MC uses to store the specified date.  I don't want that, I want the album name to be "9/8/1935".  I also tried copy the date to another field, like "genre" and the same thing happened the value showing was 13035.

I know I can copy and paste the date for one song, but I plan on doing this for many (1000's) of mp3s.  I have an Ipod (the old, classic one that works with MC) that is connected to my car radio.  The screen on the radio displays the album name, artist and song title from the ipod (I have no control over the fields it shows).  I want the album name to have the date showing.  I don't care about the real album name.  For some artists, such as Count Basie, I have over a 1000 songs, each with the date in MC.  When playing in the car I would like to see the date.  Hence the request.

Thanks

Ed

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Copy Date
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:27:20 pm »

The number is the internally used precise value for the date. I don't know why the Move/Copy Fields tool uses it when the field value is copied to another field. I don't think it can be useful for anything.

MC has the "Date (filename friendly)" library field, but that field uses a universal date format instead of the locale specific format that is set in the Windows Control Panel.

A way to do what you want would be to create a new calculated field with the expression "[Date]" and copy the values from that field to the Album field.

For example, here's a "Date X" field:

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

EasyEd

• Recent member
Re: Copy Date
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:16:42 am »

Thanks.  That's a goood idea.  I was getting ready to write an Excel macro to get the date from MC and then put in back into MC in the album field.  Your idea is much simpler.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up