INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center was unable to play any of the files  (Read 2383 times)

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Media Center was unable to play any of the files
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:30:30 am »

That's the error I get whenever I try to play anything from PMC.  I am using MC 14.0.130.

Please help!

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center was unable to play any of the files
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:43:29 am »

Sorry for the interruption.  It's our content provider (Medianet Digital) that is experiencing server problems at the moment and they tell us they are working hard at restoring the service as quickly as possible.  Usually in a case like this the service is back up within an hour (hopefully less), but it's outside of J River's control.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00:16 am »

Thanks.  It's working now.

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:32:40 am »

Thanks for letting us know, we haven't even heard from Medianet yet!  :o
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 05:59:22 pm »

I think I figured out what's going on.  Before MC 14, I added a bunch of songs from the PMC Store to my PMC Library - I did not download these songs. When I upgraded to MC 14, I imported the PMC Store songs to my MC 14 Library.  Since I usually just shuffle my whole library when I listen, it took me a while to notice that MC was just skipping the PMC Store songs and I was only listening to my ripped music. 

It looks like I can fix the problem by deleting all of the PMC Store songs that are currently in my library, and re-adding them.  This will be a huge pain that I guess I'll just have to deal with, but am I running the risk of having the same problem all over again in the future?  Or was this just the result of the transition from PMC to MC 14?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 06:25:33 pm »

You probably should download anything you want to use locally in the future.  You can download without buying.  It just stores a local copy.

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 02:59:15 pm »

I was afraid you say that.  Becuase what I really want is for this vast library of 5 million songs to be an extension of my relatively puny library of 5 thousand songs.  I want to be able to mix all of the music I own, with all of the music I like but don't own, and listen to that endless playlist.

I don't have the disk space to store, or the time to download, all of the stuff in that 5 million song PMC Store.

Now I am exaggerating a little - I don't really want ALL 5 million songs, lots of them are crap - but I do want the ones I like, and the ones I might like.

When I hear a song I like by an artist that I don't already have in my own library, I go to the PMC Store and add ALL of that artist's songs to my library.  They usually have way too many songs for it to be practical for me to download them all, and besides why waste the disk space?  I have a subscription!

I like to do the same thing for artist's I already have, since I usualy don't own their entire catalog, but would like to have access to it.

So essentially I want to be able to treat the store as a virtual extension of my own library, with filters that allow me to control what can be played from the store.

Is there a way to do this that I don't know about?  Maybe this could be addressed as a feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up