INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Troubleshooters needed (high bitrate streaming)  (Read 2832 times)

HiFiTubes

• Citizen of the Universe
Troubleshooters needed (high bitrate streaming)
« on: January 21, 2010, 08:29:54 am »

I have posted on this before, and after ruling my network as the problem, I need a few people to try streaming high bitrate lossless audio over Library Server, preferably over WAN.

This was working fine a month ago, and I rolled back to .90 .106 with no solution.

I have tweaked various buffers and tried on multiple PCs from various locations.

I do have one more test to run (using my other PCs at home as the server).

It seems that after 30 seconds, MC starts to buffer. What's strange is that if settings are changed to Convert Audio If Neccessary, MC does so for even 44kHz FLAC/APE files at 800-950kbps.

My network upload bandwidth is about 9000-150000kbps.

I can provide samples I have made of 24/96kHz material (from out-of-print LPs) if needed.

HiFiTubes

Re: Troubleshooters needed (high bitrate streaming)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:46:24 am »

Maxed out every buffer and every 30 seconds or so I get hard buffering like a CD skipping which last for 10 seconds.

20 second pre-buffering
5 second WASAPI buffer
toggled play from memory on/off

what gives?

Tested my bandwisth last night on HTPc and laptop; even laptop has almost 10000kbps up.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:13:25 am »

there is a program to check latency (latency checker??) that might help pinpoint where the problem lies.

Also, MC 14 allows you to playback media from memory, which might help with buffering.

what bitrate are you trying to stream?  What method are you using to stream?  just simple playback from a local machine, or sending it from a server to another machine?  library server, or DLNA?

I can stream my ape files over my network without issue.  I have the library installed on the local machine, the meda is stored on the file server, and I have mapped the drive locally to M:\

This works fine for me.  Other than that, I'm at work and can't test anything now.

if you do figure it out, please post back the solution.
pretend this is something funny

HiFiTubes

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:19:04 am »

thanks Justin,

I have tried all settings including play from memory.

Recently ran the latency checking on the machine (for another reason, setting up some recording gear) and it is down in the microseconds, all green lights.

Problems crop up with FLAC at high bit rates over WAN or LAN using Library Server. this used to work incredibly well so I could listen to my 24/96 downloads at work.

For kick, I'll see if I have any .ape files at 24/96 or convert some FLAC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:27:41 am »

Virus checker?

HiFiTubes

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:29:46 am »

Well, I don't think so. I have excluded MC from NOD32 at home. My plan is to try my laptop as the Ls source. Has to be something on the HTPC.

At work I don't have a lot of control obviously, but I tried using my laptop at in-laws and same thing.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 11:41:03 am »

Jim, I have a question.

Should I just see "Buffering" and not hear it? I'm hearing audio breakup and stutter really loudly. Even with buffers maxed out I'll get stable playback for 20 seconds, then a hard buffer out of the blue, then 1 minute of playback and another hard buffer, where it just says Buffering 6% during loud sound bursts.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 12:30:20 pm »

Are you playing across the Internet?

HiFiTubes

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 12:31:20 pm »

yes, both WAN and LAN worked for 3 months at 2000-3000kbps for audio.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 12:57:04 pm »

Jim - I'll double check if this problem happens on LAN. I know I checked but I just can't remember right now.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 11:37:03 pm »

I'm now sitting at my laptop, the library is stored locally on this machine, the files are on the server, I'm connected with wifi, 802.11g, excellent signal and selected the new NIN album, the slip, which is recorded at 24/96 WAV.

it's playing just fine, glitch and pause and stutter free, 4608 kbps.

WASPI won't play this format, direct sound is what I'm using.  .5 seconds Buffering (output mode settings), prebuffering is 6 seconds, from the options menu

both machines are running 14.0.121

I'm not sure what else I can test for you, but will be happy to help if I can.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 05:38:00 am »

Thanks Justin!

I tested on my LAN last night and had no issues.

But with the same laptop, on two other networks, I have problems streaming over WAN now.

I have 50MB/s at work download and the other has at least 15 so something has changed here at home I guess. I just tested at Speakeasy and I have about 9000 up on my laptop, and the same on the HTPC.

I tried a couple things, and I'll post what they were, and if they were successfully, when I get to my office.

thanks again - it was a big help to hear about your success.

I have some 88KHz wav files at about your bit rate I can test too.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 07:09:48 am »

WASPI won't play this format, direct sound is what I'm using.  .5 seconds Buffering (output mode settings), prebuffering is 6 seconds, from the options menu
WASAPI should play it.  Try the Output Format in DSP Studio.  I think you have to change Bitdepth to 24 bits.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 07:40:18 am »

WASAPI should play it.  Try the Output Format in DSP Studio.  I think you have to change Bitdepth to 24 bits.

I selected Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package and that worked.

My laptop is pretty new, so I was surprised this was necessary, but I'm glad this works, thanks

HiFiTubes

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 07:52:49 am »

I used the FIOS Speed Optimizer again last night ( had done this months ago with the new build) and I'm still gettng dropouts over WAN.

I'm still curious about buffering because I don't get buffering per se, I get stuttering and "buffering". It's strange to mean that I can stream 3000kbps fine for 30 seconds and then it drops out; shouldn't the buffer prevent this?

It's working well except for this intermittent dropouts/stutters which last a short time, maybe 10 seconds; a duration which seems like MC should be buffering!

Stranger and stranger.

I also moved my library off my SSD and my thumbnails off my SSD in case it was some issue there. Same thing. All drives are defragged. I excluded all MC related disk locations from NOD32 real-time AV. Windows Defender disabled. Windows 7 x64.

Finally, why would MC auto-transcode my ape/flac files to mp3 (from 800kbps) when I can play 3000kbps for a time before the dropout.

when I left this morning I had 8000kbps upload bandwidth.

@ Justin - Can you try enabling the Transcode If Necessary option for LS and see what happens to your wav files?
Pages: [1]   Go Up