INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Rio Sport S30S  (Read 1250 times)

SentientCa

• nothing more to say...
Problems with Rio Sport S30S
« on: April 22, 2003, 04:12:36 pm »

I am unable to delete tracks on the S30S in order to make room to upload more.  

I am using Rio S30S Version 1.89 (c)2002

I am using the Rio S30 plugin version 3.0.13

I am using MJ8 on a laptop with the following details

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.393
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 495 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 18 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4522.1800
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4522.1800
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4522.1800
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.4718
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

How do I make it work?

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problems with Rio Sport S30S
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 05:21:17 am »

SentientCa,

What happens when you right click and select "Delete" on tracks on the Rio S30S?

Steve (JRiver)

PS We don't have an S30S here to test so that is why I need you to give me as much information as possible.

Thanks.

SentientCa

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 08:06:21 am »

Ok,
I open MJ, plug the Rio Sport USB cable into the computer and the Rio Sport into the USB cable and turn it on.  It displays "USB connected" and "waiting".  The activity spinner is stationary.  In MJ I click the plus sign beside "CD & Handhelds", then I click on "Rio S30".  The Rio spinner spins for a few seconds and MJ displays the track names in it's righthand window.  I click on the top entry to highlight it, shift click on the bottom entry to highlight the entire list and then right click in the list and select "delete", which is the only option.  MJ displays a Confirm action dialog box to which I reply YES that I am sure I want to delete the selcted track(s).  At this point the Rio spinner starts spinning a dialog appears in MJ and shows the file names as they are being deleted.
Wait, multiple times yesterday that dialog box just stayed blank, the right window cleared, and then redrew the entire list.  Today it works.  Yesterday I ended up erasing and uploading using Rio Music manager which worked.  Yesterday, MJ had been running a while both as mega-me and mini-me.  I also had tried to drop tracks on the rio before trying to erase.  That may have been a no-no.

Ok, continuing.  I set the drop target to Device - Rio S30, I navigate to an album in the media library with 16 mp3 tracks.  I select 12 tracks from the album list and drag them to the drop target which immediately changes to something weird(in this case Nike PSA).  I then click on the Rio in CD & handhelds and find the queue list is blank.  I go back to the library, select the same 12 tracks again and right click and send-to/device/rio s30.  When I go back to the Rio its list is still blank.  OK, re-select tracks again and drop directly on the Rio.  Ding, not allowed.  OK, I drop the list on Internal this time, low and behold it works, I get a Warning dialog saying available memory size limit exceeeded.  Ah, no wonder the entire CD list went to the queue, not just the selected tracks.  I delete the extra tracks from the queue and get the available memory warning again.  Looking in the bottom window I see:

Memory type Avail after upload avail size upload file size
Internal         0Bytes                 61.281MB       85.461MB
External         30.653MB             30.563MB       0Bytes

Well this is farther than I have ever gotten before.  Continuing, I delete tracks until Internal memory will be nearly filled, without excess.  Now back to the album list and select the tracks I remember having just deleted from the queue.  I drag these to External and click the Rio.  Now the bottom window shows:
Internal upload file size = 57.906MB
External upload file size = 27.555MB
and all the songs I want show in the upper window.
I click upload files and a device transfer window pops up, the rio is spinning and the word "waiting" in ther Rio's display changed to "downloading".  

Hmm, the last song destined for internal  gives an error dialog saying it won't fit in internal memory, can MJ put it in external.  I click yes.  It uploads and I get another error mesage that there is not enough space and the upload stops.  All the internal memory songs uploaded, but only one song got to external.   Wait, It uploaded an unselected song to internal, one I skipped over in the album list.  I know it did not show in the queue before selecting the "Upload" button.  Weird.  ?

OK, I delete the unwanted track, which works.   I grab the track that got pushed out and drop it on internal and Upload, success.  Next I click on external and delete that song, I don't need it twice.  Back to the album list, drag the external tracks to external and Press upload.  
UPload stops after two tracks reporting that there is no more space.  I look in the lower window, yes there is space.  I jump back to the library, select those last two tracks, drop them on External, click on Rio and hit upload and yes, they upload fine.  Done! :)

Ok, I think I have it.  There are some rules that I think I have learned from this.
1.  Always do a cold start on MJ if you want to erase files on the Rio.  Never do any drag and drop operation to the rio or add files to the queue before trying to erase.
2.  Don't use the drop target with the rio, it doesn't work, instead drop only the tracks desired for internal memory on the internal icon and only tracks desire for external memory on the external icon.
3.  Be careful to select only contiguous blocks from the album list to drag to the queue to prevent stealth downloaded tracks.
4.  Only download to internal or external memory for a single device transfer, never both together.  Make sure that only contiguous blocks of tracks are included in a single download transfer too.

With these rule I should be good.

To be honest, it's easier to use Rio music manager.  

I hope you succeed in making MJ easy to use though.

Sentient

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 09:32:16 am »

Sentient,

Thanks for the details.

I disagree with the conclusions you arrived at based on your experience. I could not duplicate these here using a similar player and following as best I could the steps you took.

If you can, please break down what you are reporting as bugs into small reproduceable (for you) issues that I can try to duplicate. If I can reproduce them, I will fix them.  

For me, the delete worked without problems. The Drop Target worked fine as well.   I could not duplicate your phantom track report and I transferred files to both Internal and External at the same time with no problem.

Thanks for the report and let me know if you can repeat these with any consistency.

Steve

Pages: [1]   Go Up