INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing Dvds Isos - multiple problems  (Read 1461 times)

Pizza Hut

Playing Dvds Isos - multiple problems
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:09:21 pm »

Hi  :)

This has been a problem for me in every version of Media Center for the past 3 years. I always just avoided using Media Center whenever I needed to play a DVD or iso/image? over the years and used other software.

Here's the problem:

Whenever I try to play a Dvd it always opens up 2 additional windows- one is usually purple and shows nothing, and the other one has the actual dvd (movie) playing.

As soon I open the dvd up the main media center display goes blank and displays nothing, I have to exit out of that screen and then pick one of the other two windowed screens that open up.

Then, if that wasn't confusing enough- I can't get the actual window/screen that the dvd is actually playing on to go into fullscreen mode, I can resize the window (stretch it) , but it's still in windowed mode. No matter what I try it just won't go into full screen. This happens with every DVD, be it in my drive, a ripped dvdr, etc...  ?

When I use a really old version of WinDVD to open up my Dvds/isos- they play just fine, go into full screen just fine, and I can navigate the menus just fine.

I can't imagine what I could be doing wrong- I LOVE Media Center because it's really easy to use and organizes my media so well, but when it comes to DVD's it's been nothing short of a nightmare for me.

Any insight or help would be fantastic, thanks alot

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playing Dvds Isos - multiple problems
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:39:57 am »

The purple window is probably coming from the DirectShow filter used.  Installing CCCP would be a good place to start.  Turn off "Task bar notifications" in FFDShow and Haali when you install.

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DVD_Playback

Pizza Hut

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:17:06 pm »

Hey, that worked !  :D

Thanks a lot for the assistance.

I had the K-lite codec pack installed (full version) - so I deleted it and installed CCCC.

Now when I play an iso it immediately mounts and plays without any trouble. I have another computer upstairs with k-lite codec pack (full version) installed and it plays the isos just fine (Via Media Center), so not sure what the conflict was on my main computer, but as long as it's working I guess that's all that counts.

However, I'm having a problem with Media Center crashing my computer upstairs so I'll start a new thread to see if I can find the cause.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 05:03:27 pm »

Most codec packs are pure evil and k-lite ranks way up there at the top of the list. Even removing it leaves behind all kinds of issues.

CCCP is an exception as one of their core goals is stability, not to have every codec under the sun. Even so it plays darn near everything.

I had to wipe and rebuild a computer in the past due to k-lite. You might want to think about doing the same. Nothing performs quite like a fresh rebuild anyway... :)

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 05:35:41 pm »

I had to wipe and rebuild a computer in the past due to k-lite...

It's been a while since I originally installed CCCP, but it seems to me following the installation instructions—including using Insurgent to identify and remove other codecs—was very effective. But then the nuke 'n' pave is contrary to my core beliefs, so I really had no choice. ;)

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 06:12:00 pm »

Sure you can get rid of the codecs and whatnot with insergent, but k-lite just plain scares me. :) Worse than a virus. LOL. Of course anything is fixable given enough time and skill, but for me I nuke when it takes longer to fix than to rebuild...
Pages: [1]   Go Up