INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding an alternate field  (Read 1012 times)

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Adding an alternate field
« on: January 25, 2010, 03:49:01 pm »

OK, it's that time of year again- I'm on another major library cleanup and standardisation.
One thing I've noticed is that I have a *lot* of files with both an original title (French, Japanese etc. etc.), and a translated English title. I'm currently using two fields for this (Title_ENG & Title_OL)- This works fine until I find a file which only has one of these filled.

Anyone have a clever way to bind these two together?
Ideally I'd like to be able to work both ways, so that I can either view the original titles, with English where these aren't present, and English titles, with the originals where the English is missing :)

-Leezer-

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Adding an alternate field
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 04:52:49 pm »

you could make a calculated field to bind them into a list field.
make a library field. set the library field to list and call it for instance all titles. close the library manager.
(this seems like a step to many, but is important, that way the library will remember that it is ment to be a calculated list field.)

open in the library manager the same field and set it to calculated field.
now you could try something like this:
Code: [Select]
[title_ol];[title_eng]&datatype=[list]
now this could give you sometimes ; that might or might not get in the way.
to get rid of it this could work
Code: [Select]
if(isempty([title_eng]),[title-ol],if(isempty([title-ol]),[title_eng],[title_ol];[title_eng]))&datatype=[list]or something like that. could be missing some ()) did not test it, just hope it gives you an idea.. when you get stuck please post again.

:)
gab

Pages: [1]   Go Up