INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smooth Previous/Next with Gapless Between Tracks  (Read 744 times)

Scronch

Smooth Previous/Next with Gapless Between Tracks
« on: July 01, 2002, 11:11:26 pm »

OK, I think I'm missing something.  Under Settings, Options..., Playback, I can set Stop to Fadeout (i.e. a "soft" stop).  I can also set the behavior of Seeking, which affects things when I move the Position Slider.  And I love the right-click behavior of the Previous and Next buttons.  But the only way I can get "soft" Previous and Next buttons, and keep Between Tracks as Gapless, is by using the ALT key.

While using Standard or Gapless for Between Tracks, it seems reasonable to be have Smooth Seeks and a Fadeout Stop.  So why not allow Smooth Previous/Next, as well?  Consider a party scenario--you may not want Crossfading, but you still want smooth transitions when a guest hits Stop or Previous or Next.  And most guests will forget to press the ALT key.

I don't see why the behavior of Previous and Next should be tied to the Between Tracks setting.  The latter is a normal flow, whereas Previous and Next are interruptions that would typically be handled differently.  I hope I'm just missing how to do this.

Scronch

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Smooth Previous/Next with Gapless Between Tracks
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2002, 05:00:58 am »

We talked about breaking "Between Tracks" into "natural" and "unnatural" but decided against it for MJ 8 because that options dialog is already too scary.

So, you'll have to use ALT for now.

And wait a month or so before you burst our bubble and tell us it's still not quite right

Later Scronch.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Scronch

RE:Smooth Previous/Next with Gapless Between Tracks
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2002, 09:45:34 am »

heh heh.  That wasn't my intention.  I honestly thought I was missing something, and it was frustrating me to no end.  I don't know how other users feel, but I think providing Smooth Previous and Next without ALT would be consistent with providing a Fadeout Stop.  And it would really work nicely.  As for the bubble, maybe just ignore me for a month, or two, or...

Scronch
Pages: [1]   Go Up