INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VST plugin problems  (Read 1974 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
VST plugin problems
« on: January 30, 2010, 03:15:30 pm »

Nice work guys!

However, I still observe the following oddities...

Unfortunately they all revolve around my desired use of one particular VST plug-in (IK ARC), but the changing behaviour of MC14 with that plug-in between various iterations of MC14, and it working 100% fine in other hosts gives me hope that it might be inadvertently improved. ;)

1. From .101 through to .131, doing a systematic upgrade (an over-install) "blew away" the licensed/authorized status of my plug-in. In other words, I would have to re-authorize it using the license info I bought for it each time I updated MC14. HOWEVER, as of this build (.136) that behaviour has mysteriously disappeared! Hooray!

2. MC14 still forces its DSP Studio window to an absurdly small size if I try to display the VST plug-in. This is new as of .106. I can avoid this only by running MC14 elevated.

3. MC14 still doesn't really insert the effect of the VST plug-in in the audio chain (audibly verified) until I actually open DSP Studio and "display" the plug-in visually on the screen. Also new since .106. Same plug-in works 100% reliably in Steinberg Cubase, multiple instances. If displayed once, effect remains in the chain until I restart MC14.

Sorry to be a broken record but I still think there's some funny-business with the VST support. Am thankful for MC's VST support in general though - not a single other media player has any kind of VST support worth looking at! ;)

Thanks!
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
VST plugin problems
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 03:21:43 pm »

2. MC14 still forces its DSP Studio window to an absurdly small size if I try to display the VST plug-in. This is new as of .106. I can avoid this only by running MC14 elevated.
This sounds related to a change we made.  Matt said this in another thread:

About a month or so ago, we disabled redirection.  Previously, registry writes to HKLM and disk writes to C:\Program Files\... would get redirected by Windows so your code might think they worked.  But then your code wouldn't find what it wrote if the program were run elevated since then you'd be looking at the real HKLM and not the pretend redirected one.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
VST plugin problems
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 03:47:26 pm »

Hi JimH,

Thanks ... that HKLM stuff is over my head <blush>.

Here's an idea: I'll try some other pro VST plug-ins from a diversity of manufacturers and report back about thier behavior. Would this be of interest?

DP
Derek Pert

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
VST plugin problems
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 03:48:55 pm »

...and any idea about the effect of the plug-in not being realized until MC14 actually displays the plug-in panel?

(I can look for this in some other plugins too.)
Derek Pert

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: VST plugin problems
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 06:28:22 am »

Hi Matt, JimH,

Update on the non-compliance of certain VST plugins to the redirection/HKLM stuff ...

Steinberg just released (yesterday) thier much anticipated v.5.5 update to Cubase.

The same problem I once wrestled with concering MC14.12x>.131 and certain IK Multimedia VST plugins has now been intruduced with Cubase 5.5!!! This is HUGE for the plugin manufacturer(s) affected.

Thought you might like to see my post about JRiver Media Center which I just posted to the Steinberg Cubase forum (very high exposure), to explain why I think the problem is not with the host, but with the plugin(s), based on the help you gave me six months ago:

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=989628#989628

Best,

DP

Derek Pert

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: VST plugin problems
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 08:45:19 am »

Thanks for letting us know.

I suppose this is good news, since it will force the plugin authors to take it seriously.  I was a little disappointed we never heard back from them after we figured out the problem.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up