INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC Startup in Theater view?  (Read 1720 times)

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
PC Startup in Theater view?
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:55:52 am »

Is this possible?
I'm using my HTPC as a media player, connected to a Denon AVR. I just don't need Windows on startup.
Is there a tweak to have my system go directly in Theater view?
Just in case I need Windows, I can get there through the "Exit" of Theater view.
thanks

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: PC Startup in Theater view?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:59:49 am »

when you go to options>startup.
set the startup interface>mode to thv
and set windows startup to mediacenter 14

:)
gab

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:14:26 pm »

I think he was refering to going to theater view from boot. If not follow what gappie said.

Create a file in the the startup folder called MC.bat

in the file put in:

c:\windows\system32\MC14.exe /Mode Theater

You'll have to substitue MC13.exe or whatever for the version you are using.

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 08:21:35 am »

Thank you both.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:13:20 am »

I think he was refering to going to theater view from boot. If not follow what gappie said.

Create a file in the the startup folder called MC.bat

in the file put in:

c:\windows\system32\MC14.exe /Mode Theater

You'll have to substitue MC13.exe or whatever for the version you are using.

For clarification, Gappie's method does start Theater View when the computer boots. When he says, "and set windows startup to mediacenter 14" he means go to Tools > Options > Startup > Windows Startup. You then click the down arrow next to "Run on Windows Startup" and select either "Media Center 14" or "Media Center 14 and Media Server." No batch files are required!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 10:42:13 am »

Yet another way to do it, if you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7, is to use the Windows Task Scheduler.  This provides more control over the precise load time and order of the task.

1. Go to Start and type "Task Scheduler".  Hit Enter and approve the UAC prompt if you get one.  Then, in the Task Scheduler window that appears, click the Create Basic Task button on the right. (Note: You can select a folder in the tree first to use for organizing your tasks if you want.  This has no impact on how the tasks work, it is just for organizational purposes.)

2. In the Create a Basic Task dialog that appears, enter a Name for your task (like "Start MC in TheaterView") and a description if you want.  Click Next.

3. Choose "When I log on" as the trigger and click Next.

4. Choose Start a program and click next.

5. Type MC14.exe (no path required) in the Program/script box, and then in the arguments box put: /Mode Theater.  Click Next.

6. On the last page, check the "Open the Properties dialog" box and click Finish.  This will open the advanced properties dialog for your new task.  Note that sometimes the Task Scheduler UI is dumb and this new dialog will open BEHIND the main Task Scheduler UI.  Look in your Task Bar for a new item named "Start MC in TheaterView" or whatever you named the task.

7. In the Properties Dialog, you can switch to the Triggers tab and add a delay of 30 seconds or 1 minute.  This will allow your computer to finish loading it's normal startup tasks first before trying to load MC's UI.  I've found this helps prevent MC from initially marking all of the files as missing if you have media on a remote network share.  The properties dialog also keeps a log of the tasks, which is useful if something goes wrong to try to diagnose the error.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 04:31:49 pm »

Hmm, shows you how much JRiver adds things to MC. :) I wasn't even aware of all the boot options in MC Options. At one point it was just to load media server. That is way easier than what I proposed.

As for the Win 7 thing, thanks for the tip. Another feature I overlooked. I use the scheduler a lot in Vista and Win 7. Never noticed the "on logon" trigger... That will come in handy for sure. I think I need to spend some more time looking at what all is available...

gappie

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 04:45:03 pm »

Yet another way to do it, if you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7, is to use the Windows Task Scheduler.  
i also saw the other thread with the screenshots. looks good. i just looked at the scheduler from xp. does not look that fancy, but it seems like it is possible there also.. including the delay? (im sorry, im on a german xp, dell did not understand the part where i asked for an english version)... but after the wizzard did his thing, you can open the task and change it settings, also advansed with some options.
just when somebody needs it and is on xp, take a look...

:)
gab

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 08:37:33 pm »

Glynor helped me with this issue. i was getting direct errors. and his task scheduler info fixed my problems.  see here for more info... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55914.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up