INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow to build .avi library thumbnails on one PC  (Read 1571 times)

billryan_nz

• Recent member
Slow to build .avi library thumbnails on one PC
« on: February 03, 2010, 04:03:35 pm »

I built this HTPC several months ago (Asus M3A78-EM, Athlon 4850e, ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series video card, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 x32 Professional - MC 14.0.130 at present but has done it since MC13 when I first built this machine) and, through several iterations, the same issue has arisen.

Unlike my other PCs, this one takes ages to build the thumbnails of my ripped movies (.avi, 720p - currently 106 of them) on my Windows Home Server - usually, several days (yes, I said 'days') and even then 2, 3 4 won't succeed. As I say, the four other computers in the house do it in a few seconds but this one is always glacial. Works fine on Audio: 14000+ tracks and that library is built quickly (noting that most of tags include 500 x 500 album covers) but not in relation to Videos.

I've tried swapping the video card, several other things but still this slowness remains. Anyone have any thoughts on where to look? What to try?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: VERY slow to build .avi library thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 05:25:52 pm »

Virus checker?

DirectShow Filters?  Turn off Task Bar notifications in any filters.

billryan_nz

• Recent member
Re: Slow to build .avi library thumbnails on one PC
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 07:18:23 pm »

JimH thanks. Unlikely to be virus checker - have all my computers set up similarly and doesn't slow them down. To check, I'e turned checker off and it's making no difference.

In relation to the filters, I'm running MC on default settings for playback but, again, I set up MC with same settings on all machines and it's not affecting them (sorry - where's the task bar notification option?)

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:43:14 pm »

Is it slow to initially "load" a movie and begin playing compared to the others? If so there is really something wrong with the filters.

billryan_nz

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:24:17 pm »

gvanbrunt thanks. No, it does everything else entirely normally and at usual speed. Nor is there any problem with the quality of the playback. Performance of MC on this machine is perfectly good - other than creating the thumbnails in the library. And for some reason, it's only this machine, regardless of how I set it up - it did it when I had it on Vista and now on Windows 7 Professional. At the moment, I've pulled the video card and setting it up to operate only from the 780G chipset (based on Radeon HD3200 graphics) - well, I hope I am, given the audio issues with HDMI connectors (I may be at it for a while :-)). Ultimately may have nothing to do with the issue re thumbnails but I think the evidence points to a hardware rather than software issue...

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:37:20 pm »

Might be worth starting playback of one of the files and seeing what filters are being loaded on the slow PC and compare these to one of the goods PCs.

Right-click in then video window and there is a direct showfilters option down near the bottom.

The is also a copy graph to clipboard sop you can post the good and slow graphs here if you need to.

Richard

billryan_nz

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 11:46:29 pm »

Thanks guys but I can't have been clear. The thumbnail rendering issue occurs when importing a library into the Videos library view - the thumbnails are very slow to render. Everything to do with playback is absolutely normal, exactly the same as the other machines (for the record, the same filter set for video and audio as the other machines - the defaults). It's just this one, single function that's at issue. Audio thumbs render perfectly and very quickly when importing into the audio library view - but not the videos.

billryan_nz

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 11:59:29 pm »

OK, problem solved. Software clash. Out of habit, when I installed Windows 7 Prof a few weeks ago, I'd also installed the Windows Essential Codecs Pack - I'd gotten into the habit of installing that on the HTPC, partly because of occasional messing around with Windows Media Centre. When I uninstalled WECP the problem seemed to reduce significantly. To be sure, I did a full uninstall/reinstall of J River MC and it's now behaving 95% like the other installations now.

Thanks for your input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up