INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server on WHS - connection problems  (Read 1358 times)

billryan_nz

• Recent member
Library Server on WHS - connection problems
« on: February 05, 2010, 06:06:21 am »

I'm hoping for assistance for someone who's succeeded in getting Windows Home Server to function as a Library Server.

I followed the guidance of JannisA and others on http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52687.0 but I can't get MC on the client computer to pick up the Library Server on WHS. I'm not clever on this stuff so I'm struggling. The Library Server on WHS reports that the Auto Detect Beacon has started and that it's running on Port 81 (it fails on Port 80). OK, fine, but I don't seem able to get the client computer (my desktop) to find the LS on WHS ("failed to find..."). Under Library Manager there's an option to select "localservers_autofind:80" but I don't seem able to change the '80' to '81'. There's also the possibility of adding a new entry (e.g. a new autofind command?) but I can't figure out what I might insert - my ignorance is letting me down so I'm hoping there's someone knows what they're doing who can help.

BTW: the client is on Windows 7 Professional.

Anyone able to assist?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library Server on WHS - connection problems
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 06:50:39 am »

I don't know if MC will run on Library Server, but if it does, you'll need to set it up to Start Media Server on Windows start.    Use the Search window in the Options to find it.

It's also on that side (not the client) where you must change the port used.  80 is the normal port that a web server runs on, so try something like 8081.  A firewall opening may be needed on one or both machines on whatever port you use.

billryan_nz

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:40:51 am »

Thanks JimH. Doesn't apparently fix it. The Media Server is running fine on the WHS - it now reports that the Beacon is running and that it's running on port 8081. And I've created a new rule allowing port 8081 for inbound on this desktop (the client)...but still 'Search for Library Servers' produces "Failed to find a local server".

Any other thoughts? Don't I have to tell the client to listen on port 8081?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:51:03 am »

Don't use the search.  Connect to a specific library that you've added.

When you add a library, there are some examples.  One of them uses the IP address of the server, a colon, and the port.  Try that, using your server's IP address and port.

billryan_nz

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:04:14 am »

That did it. Thanks mate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up