INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server on WHS - .avi playback error on client  (Read 937 times)

billryan_nz

• Recent member
Library Server on WHS - .avi playback error on client
« on: February 05, 2010, 06:07:50 pm »

OK, the saga continues...

I now have Library Server working fine on WHS. On client computers, the libraries show up fine. No problems with audio tracks at all. Problem though with about 25% of .avi files (ripped DVDs) in the Videos shared folder. When I go to play these I get an error message that reads:

DirectShow: No combination of filters could be founds to render the stream. Code=0x80040218

A bit peculiar. The problem only arises when I try to playback from the MC Videos library view. (Those videos that do play take longer to get going (~20-30 secs) but once going they work fine.) In contrast, when I go direct to the WHS Shared Folder/Videos with Windows Explorer and select play with MC, each video replays perfectly - including those that gave an error message when played from Videos library view. So each file is obviously OK with no errors. Moreover, under that scenario, both the LS on WHS and MC on the client are obviously functioning fine - so whatever combination of filters and codecs are required are obviously available, therefore raising questions about the error message.

I can't detect any pattern in which videos give rise to the error messages. They've all been ripped in the last few months using the same software and the same settings.

Any thoughts?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library Server on WHS - .avi playback error on client
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 06:09:43 pm »

The DirectShow filters are different on the two machines.  Our wiki has info on DS.

billryan_nz

• Recent member
Re: Library Server on WHS - .avi playback error on client
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 12:34:52 am »

Thanks JimH.

Several hours later...

Hmmmm, tell me again, why did I think running MC on WHS as a server for my network was a good idea? Think I might pass on this for now and return to the simple ways... when everything/most things worked...
Pages: [1]   Go Up