INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AAC+ streams play only static on Win7 x64  (Read 12231 times)

ABx

• Recent member
AAC+ streams play only static on Win7 x64
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:41:25 pm »

Searching around I can see that more than a few have had problems playing AAC+ streams, but my problem seems a little different.

Anytime I try to play an AAC+ stream, it just plays static. I can play the same streams through Windows Media Player without any problems, but JRiver can't seem to do it. I can also get JRiver to play the stream on my XP SP3 machine, so it's just my Windows 7 x64 system that's having this problem. Both system have Creative X-Fi sound cards, if it makes a difference.

I have installed the Orban aacPlus codec from orban.com, and gone into Options > File Types, and set AAC Audio to the following:
Playback Method: JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filter)
Source Filter: Orban-CT AAC/aacPlus Stream parser
Other Filters: JRiver Bitrate Monitor filter

These are the settings that work on XP.

Seeing that Windows Media Player uses the AC3 filter, I tried setting those under "Other Filters" as well. I also tried installing Quicktime and setting JRiver to use its engine, but that only returned the message that: "Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files." I also tried using the JRiver video engine just for kicks (with the above settings), but that just results in the error: "The media type of this file is not recognized" (as it does if I leave it set to Automatic for AAC files).

I saw the suggestion made to ensure that an AAC file can be played locally using DirectShow, but unfortunately I don't have any ACC files and wouldn't know how to ensure that it can be played through DirectShow (other than getting it to play through JRiver with the above settings).

The streams I'm trying to get to play are on somafm.com (the aacPlus streams, not the "WMP aacPlus" streams) and Digitally Imported, but I also tried a few random ones from Shoutcast by simply searching for "aac" and clicking the first few aac+ streams that came up.

Any ideas? I can live with it if it's just something that will have to be fixed (gotta love paying for beta software), but would really like to get it working sooner if possible.

ABx

• Recent member
Re: AAC+ streams play only static on Win7 x64
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:52:57 am »

Anyone?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:38:33 am »

In Options for Playback, try WASAPI.

Pscytzo

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 04:00:55 pm »

In options -> File types, select AAC and set playback method to J river auido engine (using direct show filter) Source filter must be set to mp4 source and "other filters" set to ffdshow audio decoder and j river bitrate monitor. Worked for me! You must have the direct show AAC filter installed found here

http://www.free-codecs.com/CoreAAC_Directshow_filter_download.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up