INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server - Library Sync  (Read 1539 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Library Server - Library Sync
« on: February 08, 2010, 02:30:10 am »

I think the Library Sync works pretty well, first of all any changes you have made at the client is sent to the Server, then (optionally) if there were any changes on the server you can reload the Library from the server.  Couple of ideas:

1) Sync from Theater View - I've added a button in TheaterView called "Library Sync" that runs /MCC 20026 (MCC_SYNC_LIBRARY) and while the resultant Pop Up Diag asking if you want to load the new Library is T'View friendly it would be good to be able to suppress it.  The "danger" is sending the changes to the Server NOT loading the Library back.  Better still it would be good to add it as a STD button when running the client is using the Library Server that does this OR if you press the "Back" button when on the top level roller T'View asks if you want to reload the Library

2) Auto Sync - I could also add /MCC 20026 to the Scheduler if I want the Library to be reloaded on a periodic basis, but the pop up would be problematic and you would have many times when reloading would be pointless and disruptive.  It may work to have a flag that is sent saying the library has changed, and the client could be configured to
  - a) update library automatically (when not in Playing Now),
  - b) Flag the a updated library is available and let the users select the option as per above
  - c) something else etc

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library Server - Library Sync
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 02:55:20 am »

I know how much testing you've been doing Nathan and thanks for prompting me to relook at library server.

My thoughts on this topic,

1) I'd like to have a silent Library Sync that I can call each night to update the clients.

2) I understand the risk that client changes may be pushed to the server that we didn't want done, so could there also be an option to only sync from server (if required) when we call the MCC command?

3) #2 raises the question as to what client data we would want sync'd back to server regardless for example play counts (or does Library Server do this and not the client?)   SO the question is....is there any other info we'd want sync'd to the server that is stored in the client if we were requesting a one-way sync (well almost one way!)

4) It would be nice for clients to get real time updates somehow.  For example when I record TV shows on the server it would be great for them to appear straight away on the clients rather than waiting until the next time a manual or my overnight sync gets triggered.

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up