INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temp Files  (Read 1748 times)

Dimwit

• Recent member
Temp Files
« on: February 14, 2010, 11:26:47 am »

Just for the record, MJ12 is a superb piece of software! I love it.

I have a problem with the temp files in Windows/Application Data/J River/Generic/Temp. They seem to be all jpgs and are over 9 gig in size. Since my C drive is only 36 gig, 1/3 of the drive is this stuff. Sorry, but that's not acceptable.

A: Can I safely delete this? How, by direct access of the directory or do I need to go through MJ?
B: Can I set MJ to either not do this or use another harddrive?

None of my media files are on this drive so I don't want this growing problem on here.

Thanks.

Dimwit

• Recent member
Re: Temp Files
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:50:51 am »

So far, I've deleted the temp file 3 times but it keeps coming back and filling up. If this keeps up I'm, sadly, going to have to stop using the jukebox. This isn't right.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:46:45 am »

Did you try the beta of MJ14?

Dimwit

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 07:33:08 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I'm not sure where the Beta is at, as in how stable and how close to an actual release it is. I generally am not the first kid on the block with this stuff. :)
If you think that it's worth my while to try, I will.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 07:56:02 am »

The beta of MJ14 is at the top of this board.  It's safe.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 08:48:24 am »

Dimwit,

I have very little experience of MJ14, but I have lots of experience of MC14. MJ14 is based on the MC14 code. I have not seen a similar problem reported in the MC14 forum board.

MJ12 was based on MC12. You can find a link to the complete MC14 and MC13 change logs in my signature. The majority of the audio related fixes and enhancements in those change logs are included in MJ14 (naturally some of the listed things are related to "MC-only" features and are not relevant for MJ14).

The problem you have experienced is probably caused by one of the input plugins that extracts embedded cover art to the temp location on decoding, but does not delete it afterwards. What audio file formats do you mainly have? Is your cover art embedded (i.e. placed inside the audio file's tags)?

Regarding the temp location, I don't have MJ12 installed anymore, but at least in MJ14 you can set the location in Tools > Options > File Location > Program Files > Temporary files. Though, I have not tested if all included components actually use the defined location. I think its main purpose is to allow to set the location of the temp ISO file that is created when a data CD or DVD is burned with file format conversion. The size of this file can be up to about 8 GB per disc (dual-layer DVD).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Dimwit

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 05:25:35 am »

Thanks for all the help, guys. Upgrading to MJ14 seems to have done the trick. Another q: can I now uninstall MJ12 without screwing up 14?
Pages: [1]   Go Up