INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: multiple artist album import  (Read 2934 times)

Russ Reed

• Recent member
multiple artist album import
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:57:22 pm »

How do you import a downloaded multiple artist album and keep it all together as one album. For some reason I'm ending up with albums for each artist. Can someone point me to the right menu choice to keep this from happening. Thanks Russ

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: multiple artist album import
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:37:37 pm »

Here's a page from the wiki that explains the rules for how multiple artist albums get grouped: Using Album Artist and Album Artist (Auto)

The trick is that each album needs to be in its own directory.  If you have a bunch of albums in the same directory the automatic grouping of multiple artist albums will not work.

You can use JR Media Jukebox to rename and move all albums so that each album is in its own directory.  Then the multiple artists grouping should work.  Use Library Tools >> Rename, Move and Copy Files... to do a bulk rename and move of files.  The rename is based on tags so make sure all of your files have proper tags before doing a big rename and move.  If your files aren't properly tagged you can end up with a big mess.  So I'll repeat.  Make sure all of your files are properly tagged before doing a big rename, copy and move.  And have a backup of your files just in case, so it will be easy to recover if the rename makes a mess of things.

akai

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:01:50 pm »

I experienced the same thing when I ripped the album "The Ultimate Demonstration Disk" in FLAC format (multi artists).  I worked around this problem by ripping this particular disk in WAV format. It solved the problem.

mP

Russ Reed

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 09:21:32 pm »

Frobozz, thank you so much. That's perfect. Russ

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:18:40 am »

I should have mentioned that you can also manually group a multiple artist album together by selecting all of the tracks in the album and giving them the same "Album Artist" name, something like "Various Artists".  If all of the tracks in an album have the same "Album Artist" and the same "Album" tags then Media Jukebox will group them together as an album. 

You may also find some albums that you get from places like Amazon MP3 or iTunes have the "Album Artist" tag set but the tag won't have the same value for every track in the album.  That messes up Media Jukebox.  Media Jukebox won't see the album as a single album.  The solution there is to change the "Album Artist" tag to something that is the same for every track.  Or you can delete/clear the "Album Artist" tag for that album and just let Media Jukebox go by the rules it uses for "Album Artist (auto)".  So if you continue to have some multiple artist albums that don't group together check the "Album Artist" tag and make sure it is the same for every track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up