INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visual Blanking Diagnosing  (Read 1567 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Visual Blanking Diagnosing
« on: February 02, 2010, 05:26:25 pm »

I built a home theater PC with a GIGABYTE GV-R455D3-512I Radeon HD 4550 video card.

Within a few days, the video was very questionable--it worked sometimes and didn't other times.  Finally, it wouldn't work anymore.  So I ordered a new card and initiated a return for the old.  The new one fixed the problem.

However, over the past few weeks I have noticed an occasional "flashing" of the screen.  The screen goes black and appears again after 3 - 10 seconds.  It is an LG display going through a Denon receiver.  This is the only input used on the receiver.  I would really appreciate any help diagnosing the issue.

1. I replaced the HDMI cable from the receiver to the computer.
2. When the screen blanks, the receiver menu can still be seen so I think the receiver -> TV HDMI cable is fine and have not replaced it. (much longer cable that I don't have a spare of)
3. Yesterday the blacks on the screen were showing faint but noticeable white fuzz/static all over.  It looked very strange.  Restarting the computer fixed this issue.  Again, the menu looked fine on the TV and receiver so it must have been the computer.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Visual Blanking Diagnosing
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:15:23 pm »

... I think the receiver -> TV HDMI cable is fine and have not replaced it. (much longer cable that I don't have a spare of)
How long is it?

Wikipedia has some info under "Cable Length" in this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

benn600

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 03:26:50 am »

12' I think, definitely not more than twenty.  I think I have narrowed the cause down to before the receiver though so I think it is the computer or something related to it.  I still suspect the video card but this is my second one so that seems less likely.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 12:42:42 pm »

benn600

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 04:25:07 pm »

To the best I can tell, it might have been the receiver's input.  It was on #4 and I moved it to #4 (HDMI).  This computer is the only input used and I only had it on the inner port so it was less visible.

After switching port numbers, things got a lot better.  I did have some invalid format issues but fully resetting the resolution (low then back to 1080p) may have resolved that issue too.  It's a Denon receiver.  I guess if I knew for sure it was malfunctioning, I would pursue replacement or repair but it may not be worth the hassle...I'm just not sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up