INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIAA: Latest Move  (Read 1900 times)

Angel

RIAA: Latest Move
« on: June 30, 2002, 03:50:38 pm »

REUTERS, WASHINGTON DC, JUNE 30th :-

The Recording Industry Association of America has announced its latest move to prevent illicit enjoyment of music. "Friendship is the biggest threat to our industry", RIAA president Hilary B Rosen announced at an industry conference. "For decades youths have loaned and played copyrighted recordings to their friends, in the full knowledge that they were depriving our members of income. Every friendship created is a hundred lost sales for our industry. Our lawyers have now drawn up a friendship tax, whereby any building or institute knowingly aiding and abetting the creation of friendships will be liable to pay recompense to the RIAA members for our lost sales. This will include, but not be limited to, bars, bowling halls,
youth clubs, schools and universities, kindergartens, boy scout and girl guide organisations, churches and all places of work. We might not be able to stamp out the evils of friendship, but we can at least prevent the people responsible for creating friendships from receiving financially gain."

[Clarification added by JimH -- this post was a joke.]

DeathRider

• World Citizen
RE:RIAA: Latest Move
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2002, 04:01:55 pm »

Boy, if I read that right then the only answer I have is that Hilary's boat has left and she hasn't noticed, or she read George Orwell's book "1984" a few to many times. The real question is, does she have freinds (not likely)?
Robert Long

Influxor

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2002, 04:06:01 pm »

[strong words deleted -- see the annex for more info]

romanov

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2002, 04:09:35 pm »

please, who would even believe such stupidness?  just because lawyers wrote it on paper, means just that.  It's not a law. C'mon, have a little common sense to think without over reacting.  And, remember, you don't have to buy cd's.  Hit them in the pocket, not the internet.

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2002, 04:28:04 pm »

LOL

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2002, 04:49:44 pm »

Influxor,

I can't wait untill the RIAA finally causes so much dis-respect for themselves that this whole thing blows up in thier corporate ... faces!

It's just a matter of time. But will it be in time? They are seriously trying to screw everything up on their way out. Don't get me wrong, stealing songs is stealing. But the RIAA has no business instructing ANYONE on the proper way to compensate artists. They never have been fair to either the artists or the public. They themselves are responsible for the current climate of frustration that causes so many people to think it is OK to steal songs.
Hilary Rosen having friends? Sure. She has all she can afford. Even I would be her friend if she paid me. Alright, I'm just kidding. She's just trying to do her job.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

BigMike

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2002, 08:43:55 pm »

That's pretty funny stuff. Wouldn't surprise me though, that somewhere in the back of the RIAA's collective mind, they haven't thought about it :)

Harry|PLS|The|PLS||PLS|Hipster

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2002, 12:30:46 am »

Very interesting article at http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/01/technology/01TUNE.html

Essentially, industry coming to terms with fact it will never fully suppress p2p or burning of CDs, and is now prepared to compete by offering rasonably priced alternatives. Progress is slow however.

Big breakthrough: Universal agreeing to license catalogue to Rhapsody, even though Universal also participates in another subscription service.

Great quote from the head of Rhapsody/Listen, who had to negotiate with them for 16 months, explaining why Universal finally came around:

"It was self-interest," said Sean Ryan, the chief executive of Listen .com of what broke the 16-month logjam in his negotiations with Universal. "It wasn't because they were nice people."

This will take time, and it will come out by dribs and drabs.

HTH

DocLotus

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2002, 06:43:51 am »

A Joke?  Wonderful, simply wonderful!!

Why do people do these things?

There are a lot of gullible people out there that believe that if they read it in print, or is reported on by the press, that it must be true.  It often gets picked up by others & re-reported as the truth.  If this happens often enough, we have a situation whereby it becomes impossible to convince people that it was only a joke or a figment of ones imagination.

Case in point… The Bermuda Triangle, Area 51, space aliens, little green men, etc.

It’s one thing to put items into print that are done in a funny way, but is an entirely different thing to put outright lies into print.  It simple belittles the help that this great site provides by creating questionable comments that can’t be believed.

There is an outlet for such nonsense (for those who want it)… it’s called the National Inquirer or any of the other supermarket check out counter junk magazines or so-called newspapers.  

So PLEASE… if you have a preponderance towards trashy news, please keep it to yourself, or at least tell us that it is a joke so the gullible among use won’t take it for fact.

THANKS… & HAVE FUN!!!

zevele1

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2002, 06:47:11 am »

H.T.H.

As i said many times,universal internet section lost millions dollars every year
Only mp3.com and Emusic have a positive balance
So they learn a little from it
Because of it not buying new cds will have hudge impact if people stand to it

Beside it ,here are the next kind of p2p they will get:outside US,anonymous surfing.No one will be able to see your IP adress and "where you are".By a system i have problem to explain in english

This programs are here ,but not yet ready for millions connected.But they -and us- are working on it

If i have rigth now a big label,i just will built a new kind of Emusic with all my catalogue at cheap price.But.....they will need another 3-5-10 years
But people would not have any need for it in 10 years.In 10 years on p2p you get 98% of all the music who was on cds or lps or 7"....

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2002, 07:01:30 am »

Zevele,
> As i said many times,universal internet section lost millions dollars every year.  Only mp3.com and Emusic have a positive balance.

Both MP3.com and emusic.com are now owned by Universal.  The last time I saw any financials, they were both losing lots of money.  I doubt that this has changed enough to make them profitable yet.

In fact, I don't think that anyone in the music subscription business is yet making an honest profit.  This includes musicnet, pressplay, and listen.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

zevele1

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2002, 07:45:42 am »

JimH

As i said ,in France Universal and his boss are "public enemy number one'-I give you a fact,not my opinion

Because of it every thing concerning Universal is under 'strong light'

Was ,not long ago on Liberation site-one of the bigger news paper in France- all the numbers concerning Universal-do not means that Universal gave them by the way

The loss are 3 numbers in millions euro.They said that only mp3 com has a positive balance,that it is the only service who make more money that they spend
I was surprise because i do not feel that they sell that much music-but i may be wrong- but they do money

The archives are not free so i am not sure to find the article
But i just tell that i read,not things i believe

You spoke about lake in another post and once was a picture of your boat
Are they part of 'the grand lacs' on the canadian border?

DocLotus

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2002, 07:46:53 am »

I heard a report on NPR radio this morning that US companies (Enron, WorldCom, Global Crossing, etc) are not nearly as bad as in Europe & especially in Asia where “cooking the books” is more of the norm.  They want on to say, that all in all US companies are pretty much above board, with a few very bad apples that we are weeding out.  It’s like maintaining a nice lawn… from time to time you have to cut the grass & remove a few weeds.

This was a long term study about “business ethics” (now there’s an oxymoron for you).

HAVE FUN!!!

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2002, 07:50:10 am »

DocLotus,

I thought it was quite clear that it was a joke.
I laughed out loud.

I think it is called hyperbole.

come-on:   "...kindergartens, boy scout and girl guide organisations,..."

that is really funny.

well done Angel (did you come up with this), I also like the one about Microsoft patenting the digits 1 and 0 and thereby "owning everything" -really good. Has anyone got a copy of that one?
(does anyone know what I am talking about?)

oh well.

LOL
p.
Pages: [1]   Go Up