INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request - Stereo Downmix  (Read 1540 times)

BradC

• World Citizen
Feature Request - Stereo Downmix
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:58:48 pm »

Hi

I would like to request the implementation of downmix from 5 or 6 channel to stereo be added to the DSP studio.

The reason is that I have some multichannel audio on my server, and it plays fine on the theatre system, but it just won't play on the other zone that has only stereo.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature Request - Stereo Downmix
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:02:46 pm »

This is already there in recent builds of Media Center 14.

Simply select "2 channels (stereo)" in DSP Studio > Output Format

4.0, 5.1, and 7.1 will all be nicely down-matrixed.  If you're into the technicals of this kind of thing, we use normalized matrices so that clipping is not possible.  This may make the level lower than some other implementations, but lower volume with no possibility of distortion is better than the opposite in our opinion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BradC

• World Citizen
Re: Feature Request - Stereo Downmix
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:02:26 pm »

Hi

I have version 147 installed and the stereo setting is set in DSP studio, however the files still don't play. I get the error that playback is not supported.

The stereo only system is outputting to the onboard realtek chip, out to a receiver via spdif.

Here is a particular case of 24bit 44.1kHz tracks. I have ripped the stereo and multichannel versions. The stereo version plays fine with MC, but the 5 channel version gives the playback error. I have tried downsampling to 16bit and 44.1kHz in DSP settings, but that didn't work either.

Could it be that the stereo downmixing is not working with higher bit depth and/or sampling rates?
Pages: [1]   Go Up