INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zones in MC: One example of how to use them!  (Read 2089 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Zones in MC: One example of how to use them!
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:05:21 am »

This is probably old news for many but I thought I would share how I'm using Zones.  I just got a new set of outside speakers (Axiom Audio) to pair up with my Yami V2700 (7.1 receiver but also supports multiple zones - eg Zone 1 is 5.1 in the house and uses the decoding ability of the receivers, where Zone 2 is 2.0 for the outdoor speakers and is just an amplifier so you have to feed it an analogue signal).

1) HTPC Running MC on Zone 1 ---> HDMI for Sound and Audio ---> V2700's HDMI Input that is mapped to Zone 1 ---> 5.1 indoor speakers
2) HTPC Running MC on Zone 2 ---> 3.5" Stereo Jack for Analoge Audio ---> V2700's CD RCA Input that is mapped to Zone 2 ---> 2.0 outdoor speakers

Now I can have say a movie running inside and a playlist of Audio (or the Radio etc) running outside.  The good thing is that with the DLNA and Web Server ability of MC, you can control both zones from your SmartPhone over the local network.  All works very well and I'm sure there are other ways of doing this.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Re: Zones in MC: One example of how to use them!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:39:08 am »

I am doing the same thing with zones in my setup.

The good thing is that with the DLNA and Web Server ability of MC, you can control both zones from your SmartPhone over the local network.

Could you please elaborate on this for me?  How exactly are you using your phone to control MC?  I'd really like the ability to do this with a windows 6.5 mobile device while outside working on the yard for example.

thanks!
pretend this is something funny

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:34:19 am »

You have to have WiFi on your smartphone and it must be able to connect to the local network. From there you setup the web server capabilities of MC. There is info on the built in version on the Wiki, and I believe there are some third party add-on's that add some extra capabilities. You use the web browser to connect to mc and control things.

Or there is DLNA. You would have to find a DLNA app for the phone. For iPhone there is PlugPlayer amoung others. I'm not sure for Windows Mobile devices, you would have to look. The process is essentually the same as the above though, you connect via WiFi to MC using DLNA.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:05:46 pm »

You have to have WiFi on your smartphone

I do, and I can connect to my router, however...

...it must be able to connect to the local network.

I'm guessing this is where I run into problems.

I can connect to the remote server from my laptop, which is certainly on my network, however, when I type the same address on my smartphone, I get a bing search for the address, and it doesn't connect.

How can/do I connect my smartphone to the network, as opposed to just connecting thru the router?

I'm using Windows 7, and I have all my local machines connected to the Homegroup.  I can't find any way to tell my phone the network info to get it to connect, nor can I discover it from windows 7.

any ideas on how to get it connected to the network?
pretend this is something funny

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 08:06:36 am »

I can connect to the remote server from my laptop, which is certainly on my network, however, when I type the same address on my smartphone, I get a bing search for the address, and it doesn't connect.

I would guess your smart phone is not resolving the address you type in correctly. I would use the IP address instead.
You can get this from the command line on your server, cmd.exe, by running ipconfig /all

Rgds...Ross

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 05:47:38 pm »

Also the firewall is probably blocking you. Windows HomeGroup computers automatically have exceptions, your smartphone does not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up