INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash Selecting Tools/Options/File Types  (Read 2638 times)

lhm3

• Recent member
Crash Selecting Tools/Options/File Types
« on: February 27, 2010, 04:42:23 pm »

MC14 crashes whenever I try and select File Types within the Options dialog.  The other selections within the dialog box seem to work fine.  I have been running MC12 and the Options - File Types works fine.  I reinstalled MC14, but that did not correct the problem.  Should I uninstall MC14 before reinstalling?  I have only done an express install and have not added any external programs.  I am running Windows XP and have installed the most recent updates.

Thanks for any help

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crash Selecting Tools/Options/File Types
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 06:14:14 pm »

MC14 crashes whenever I try and select File Types within the Options dialog.  The other selections within the dialog box seem to work fine.  I have been running MC12 and the Options - File Types works fine.  I reinstalled MC14, but that did not correct the problem.  Should I uninstall MC14 before reinstalling?  I have only done an express install and have not added any external programs.  I am running Windows XP and have installed the most recent updates.

Thanks for any help
Are you using 14.0.151?  It's on this board.

lhm3

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 06:36:22 pm »

Yes, I just downloaded 14.0.151 today.  I also uninstalled MC14, rebooted the computer and reinstalled and it still has the same problem.  I did open the XML file for file types and it opened fine within IE, but I don't know enough about XML to know if there is a problem with the file.  The last selection in the Options box - Video - also causes MC14 to crash.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 07:16:36 pm »

Please try the link called "Stability" in my signature.

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 03:59:42 am »

Mine does the same, after I upgraded to .151.
It craches when I click the filetype as descriped above.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 11:33:15 am »

Same here with version 147 (I don’t take the hassle to update every day :D ) on a W2K machine as well with XP.

It doesn’t actually crash MC but locks it for several minutes.

<Edit>

Just updated to 151. No change, problem still persist.

lhm3

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 04:24:44 pm »

I have followed the list of items under Stability on the Wiki with no success.  I created logs and emailed them per the instructions.  MC 14 works fine and plays music without a problem.  When clicking on File Types in the dialog box, the system takes a few seconds to respond, then the file types dialog box is displayed and then I get the message that Windows has found a problem and must shut down MC14 and asks do I want to send info to Microsoft.  The only change that was made to that machine recently was checking the box in Options - General - Enable Shell Operations.  I don't remember for sure, but I believe I did that within MC14.  I have disabled shell integration in MC14, but that did not correct the problem.

I have installed MC14 on another machine and I can access the File Types dialog box without a problem.  Further, there is no delay when opening the File Types selection.  I have shell integration enabled on this second machine.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 04:41:22 pm »

This will be fixed in a coming build.

Faulty DirectShow filters could cause a crash.  We now enumerate filters in a separate process so that the bad filter can not crash the main application.

Sorry for the trouble.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lhm3

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 04:52:08 pm »

Will I be able to install over build 151 or will I need to uninstall, reboot and reinstall?  Thanks. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 05:07:58 pm »

Will I be able to install over build 151 or will I need to uninstall, reboot and reinstall?  Thanks. 

You can always install over the top.  And you can always use 'Express' in the installer when doing an upgrade.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 06:33:54 pm »

I would also like to point out that the "fix" only stops MC from crashing due to a faulty or broken filter. Although MC may no longer crash, you still have issues with your codec setup that are probably best corrected.

lhm3

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 10:49:15 am »

I don't know what is meant by having problems with Codecs.  I only have Flac and Wav files and that has not changed.  Should I disable all the other file types?  Can you please explain?  Thanks.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 06:31:13 pm »

The fact that MC crashed was due to problems with your "codecs". Filters is actually the proper term, but everyone likes call them codecs. I used the term so you would know what I"m talking about. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. :) Don't worry, you are not alone, there is a lot of people that don't know the details. For information you can look in the Wiki here:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide

Bottom line is "codecs/filters" are software components that are not part of MediaCenter but are needed to play back files. From what you have said in the this and other posts, there is a really good chance you need to fix things for proper playback etc. You can always leave it, but eventually something isn't going to work. Just like MC crashing when it enumerated the filters etc. They fixed the crash, they didn't (nor could they) fix the cause of the crash.
Pages: [1]   Go Up