INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center Stopped Working - Help  (Read 3103 times)

AlfKatz

Media Center Stopped Working - Help
« on: October 21, 2009, 08:35:29 pm »

I'm running Media Center 14 on a Laptop with Windows 7 RC. Everything was fine until yesterday. I tried to start the program and got an error message "Windows cannot access the specified path, file or device. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling it but the message pops up when I get to the end of the install. Does anyone have any idea what might be going? Is one of the recent Windows Updates causing the problem? I don't know where to start looking.

I'm hoping someone can help as I'm tearing my hair out.

Thanks

Alf

AlfKatz

Re: Media Center Stopped Working - Help - Does Anyone Have Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:31:51 pm »

I posted this problem ver a week ago but have had no response. Isn't there anyone at J River who can suggest a solution? This is very frustrating as the program was working fine for a while under Windows 7 and now it doesn't. Surely someone has some ideas!
Alf

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center Stopped Working - Help
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:47:25 pm »

You could help by providing more information.  Version you use, what you're doing, your setup, etc.

AlfKatz

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:34:47 am »

I'm running Media Center 14 - I'm not sure which sub version since I can't open the program but the exe file is dated 10/02/2009. I'm using Windows 7 RC running on Acer Aspire 6920 laptop with 3 GB memory and a Nividia GEForce 9500M video card. I'm running Kasperksy Internet Security 9.0.0.463. I can't remember if I installed the Kaspersky upgrade immediately before I started having the problem or not so maybe that's a factor. As I said it was working fine a week ago and I don't seem to be having a problem with any of my other programs.

If you need any additional information let me know.

Thanks

Frank

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 06:38:57 am »

Disable Kaspersky then. AV and Firewalls can cause a lot of trouble. Also try to right click the MC exe file to run as administrator. It's worth a shot at least.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

mkyle

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 12:47:25 pm »

I tried to add a "portable install" to my USB drive so that I could use my full library at work (update favorites while they play).  That never worked.. I got a message that said "database is read only" every time I launched MC14 from the folder where I installed it on the USB drive and it detected the entire library from scratch each time it was launched.  Okay, I may have screwed-up the licenses by not having any decent documentation to follow.

Shortly after that, I started getting this message on my Vista laptop when I ran "Media Center 14.exe": "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item Media Center 14.exe."  I am also using Kaspersky, and it has been giving me the disturbing message each time I launched MC14 in the past that it's activity resembles PDM.Keylogger.

I've removed the portable install using the -uninstaller.exe on the USB drive folder.  I've uninstalled MC14 from the home XP PC.  The only active copy I've got now is the Vista laptop and even after successfully reinstalling my mjr file it still says "no".  If you've got an issue with Kaspersky, would you please let me know how to work around it?  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 01:40:06 pm »

The issue you describe sounds like a problem with Kaspersky.  Did you try disabling or uninstalling?

Pages: [1]   Go Up