INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Video Renderer  (Read 10276 times)

ropp

• Recent member
Best Video Renderer
« on: March 09, 2010, 12:29:58 pm »

I wonder what is the best video renderer to use on a netbook. Which one would consume less resources?
What would be your recommended settings for video playback on a netbook?

Haali
Enhanced
Legacy
Video mixing 7
Video mixing 9
Renderles VMR

Thanks

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Best Video Renderer
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:21:56 pm »

I've found that EVR has started to stutter badly for me recently, although it looks great. Haali's renderer has always worked well for me and is pretty smooth. VMR9 is a simple renderer, but I got lots of tearing in fast action/horizontal panning shots.

Daydream

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:20:10 pm »

Fastest - Overlay mixer.
Best quality - EVR, Haali (madVR people can jump in but I find it somewhat too special a renderer)

There are many other variables to consider and you give very limited information. What OS is that netbook running? XP? Then EVR is possible only with .Net 3.0 installed. What graphic chip is in it - depending on its drivers your success may vary. If you have an Nvidia Ion chip in it you should be able to push 1080p out through HDMI (if it has one) without problems. At that point I wonder why are you asking about renderers, do you have some actual problems with some?

ropp

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 03:48:53 am »

Thnaks everyone for good responses. I have got a ASUS 1101HA with Intel Atom Z520 + GMA500 Videochip., powered by Windows 7.
I recently started to have a problem of quit high CPU usage when watching Avi or MKV videos (non HD). Also quite often the video play very slow for the first 30-40 seconds though audio playes fine. Then after 40 secs video is "catching up" with audio and playback goes fine.
I though it could be a movie provlem and decided to play it using WMP12 - and I had no issues described above.

So I have 2 ideas on my mind now - internal problem with MC or simply the video renderer.

May be you could you point me to the key ?

P.S. I use Shark's Win7Codecs (usually latest version) - never had problems with it on several machines

Thanks

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:15:56 am »

I have an asus aspire and I can't recall what version but it's an atom processor with xp.  I use HALLI, with windows media player classic and coreavc and it runs mkv's flawlessly.  I can't speak to MC on this machine.

It's not just about the renderer, in large part it's also the decoding filters ie. ffdshow, coreavc etc.  Try this setup and let me know how it works out.  WMP12 may be using different filters than MC and I'm not sure if there is anyway to find out which ones they are using.

I also have an asus revo 3610 with win 7 and it too has an atom processor and I've run MC with HAALI and coreavc /  a version of cyberlink filter (at seperate times) identical to their powerdvd filter...i think it shows up as pwdvd9 or something.

Hope that helps.

Daydream

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 08:53:32 pm »

I have got a ASUS 1101HA with Intel Atom Z520 + GMA500 Videochip., powered by Windows 7.

That is a single core Atom CPU. Whenever you see stuttering it means your filters (whichever they may be) are not using your video chip to do the decoding (the GMA500 has full HW video accel. for everything), but are using the CPU instead, obviously killing it.

WMP in Win7 (assuming your directshow filter config is not completely fubar) is using the MS codecs, which implicitly are taking advantage of any hardware acceleration if there is some. Hence the smooth playback when using that player. So check what filters do what on your system, or in MC in particular. MPC Video decoder, ffdshow DXVA decoder - these will take advantage of hardware acceleration for h264 and VC-1 (if you have them installed). Plain ffdshow, coreavc and the likes are all software decoders and they'll kill that CPU for any video bigger than a stamp size.

You have a control panel in Shark's package for what filters decode what. Start tweaking.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 10:57:31 pm »

I have been very happy with madVR - though it currently doesn't work that well with MC14 (the problem is being worked on by MC team). I have used it extensively with MPC-HC (Media Player Center Home Cinema version ) - it works really well and gives an amazing picture quality (though at a higher CPU usage).

Osho

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 12:25:11 pm »

I'll take daydream's word for it but I too have a single core atom processor on my netbook and like I said I use coreavc with 4 to 8 gig mkv's which run flawlessly.  I thought the entire point of coreavc was to take load of the cpu and it's particularly powerful when you have nvidia compatible video card.\

I will backtrack on my previous statement...I don't use ffdshow because it is software based and is super choppy.  I strictly use coreavc.

Who knows...works great for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up