INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Users  (Read 1333 times)

SimpleTheater

Multiple Users
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:34:21 pm »

I'm very close to leaving iTunes for JRiver MC14, but I need to know if this program will work.

I want everyone on my computer (five people) to share one media library.
When my son logs in, I want him to be able to sync his iTouch and get his playlists.
When I log in, I want my playlists.

If I buy a new CD and rip it, I want everyone to see the new CD.

Currently, with iTunes 9, we have to manually add the new CD for each account.

Thanks in advance!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Multiple Users
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:42:37 pm »

MC doesn't sync with the iPhone or Touch.  Please see the iPod board.  There is a third party work-around.

MC's Library Server can serve an unlimited number of users.

Rip on the server and everyone will see it.

SimpleTheater

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:50:49 pm »

No iTouch  :-X

I'm too old to worry about work arounds.  I need it to work with everything, out of the box.  Any word if they are working on this issue, or will it never be?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:15:51 pm »

No iTouch  :-X

I'm too old to worry about work arounds.  I need it to work with everything, out of the box.  Any word if they are working on this issue, or will it never be?
We have no plans to spend any time on Apple products unless they loosen their grip.  They added defensive measures to their products a couple of years ago.  It's unfortunate for users.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 04:00:04 pm »

Actually, MC can handle the multiple user issue automatically if you have created a Windows user account for each user. The default library (aka database) including the playlists is stored in the user data location and each user will get a private library. You would just need to set MC to rip and store the media files in a common location.

For instance, for each user you can set C:\Music\ to be the rip location, the Auto-Import feature to monitor that location, and set cover art to be stored in the album folders. When one user rips a CD to C:\Music\ the other users will get the files automatically.

Regarding iPod Touch perhaps your son could simply use iTunes for syncing if using some other portable that shows up as a removable storage device is not an option. You can easily drag and drop playlists from MC to iTunes (I just tested this) or if you need to convert lossless files to MP3 you can create a virtual Handheld that syncs a folder. Then you can use iTunes for syncing that entire location with the iPod.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up