INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray  (Read 3993 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Blu-ray
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:28:28 pm »

From the MC15 thread....

3) Improve support for movie collections on the HDD.  Again, lots of 3rd party tools that sort of do neat stuff but an overall integrated approach for the collection, management and presentation of the associated meta data would be great.  I also see that the first Blu-ray specific feature has been added to MC14 - dare I ask if this is a part of moving into the player field or is it still on the back burner?
We'd love to add Blu-ray, but it is not simple or inexpensive.  We'd have to join the Blu-ray association (very expensive) or license components from one of two parties.  Neither would be very affordable for most people.

And I have trouble investing much in a system that is so heavily "protected".  Think ipod...

ThoBar

• Was confishy
Re: Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:51:53 pm »

Could this be justified as an optional, purchased plugin? (like the mp3 plugin for MJ12)

Personally, I rip.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:39:39 pm »

TMT will "plug in" to MS MC for free - is this a potential option (I passed the Arcsoft contact details over some time ago)?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:28:37 pm »

Here is an interesting middle ground that MPC-HC (and some of the HW Devices) are now using and you would be able to add to MC....In MPC-HC you can go "file, open DVD" and it will open a BD read the playlist structure (mpls file) and then play the relevent (unencrypted) M2TS files using the std DirectShow filters.  You don't get the Java Menus etc etc and the users would still need to either run something like AnyDVD HD in the background or rip unencrypted for it to work.....
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 10:22:00 pm »

Here is an interesting middle ground that MPC-HC (and some of the HW Devices) are now using and you would be able to add to MC....In MPC-HC you can go "file, open DVD" and it will open a BD read the playlist structure (mpls file) and then play the relevent (unencrypted) M2TS files using the std DirectShow filters.  You don't get the Java Menus etc etc and the users would still need to either run something like AnyDVD HD in the background or rip unencrypted for it to work.....
Thanks
Nathan

I tried this again recently and it worked really well using ffdshow.  A year earlier I couldn't get it to work.  I'm not sure if it's improvements to ffdshow, my computer upgrade, or both.

So this is an angle we might embrace.  AnyDVD is a sticking point, but we get the feeling there are a lot of unencrypted m2ts files out there with our users.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:57:12 pm »

Sounds good - there has been a ton of work done with FFDSHOW at present that helps the Blu-ray cause including:
1) Decoding of HD Codecs with the only one left being DTS-HD (FFDSHOW will pull out the lossy core at present)
2) Bitstreaming of HD Codecs
3) Subtitles

I'd sort of pitch this approach as being able to play "playlists" or "movie only" rather than "Blu-ray Disc" support.
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:39:04 pm »

AnyDVD is a sticking point, but we get the feeling there are a lot of unencrypted m2ts files out there with our users.

;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 11:43:02 pm »

Thanks, Matt and jmone. I'd love for MC to get to where MPC is in this respect.
Also, for TrueHD decoding, I believe we need to have MPC audio renderer in the chain. Any way we could have that functionality in MC? Many lossless tracks are being used in mkvs these days.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:59:43 pm »

FFDSHOW should decode TrueHD for you
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 12:06:06 am »

FFDSHOW should decode TrueHD for you

OH it does, but only in MPC-HC, not in MC14. With all the same settings and filters. I believe you have to have the MPC-HC audio renderer, which you can install as a standalone filter too. In the past, I've had this on MC14, and managed to get TrueHD, however, since reinstalling my OS I haven't registered the MPC-HC audio renderer. I was just hoping, with all the work done on the MC audio renderer recently, that perhaps it too would get to the stage that TrueHD could be played natively in MC, without MPC-HC audio renderer.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 03:31:26 am »

I use reclock and it is fine for me...
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 09:45:24 am »

Cool, thanks for that info. I've been meaning to check out reclock for a while now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up