INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi disk w/ multi artist rip and tag issue  (Read 4002 times)

down4jazz

• Junior Woodchuck
Multi disk w/ multi artist rip and tag issue
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:33:20 pm »

I decided to put my No Thanks! 70's Punk set to hd. The first disk copied perfectly as disk 1 complete with track titles & individual artist names. I ripped as flac.

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th disk ripped with out disk # and w/out track titles, etc.

I tried to rip again in EAC, but same result. Same with Window Media. What's the work around if any?

down4jazz

• Junior Woodchuck
Update
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:59:26 am »

I decided to try Itunes import. The CD name, individual track names and artists showed up immediately. JRM tells me cd lookup failed..

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Multi disk w/ multi artist rip and tag issue
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:56:50 am »

You tried four separate online CD databases. Only one of them happened to have info for all discs.

At least YADB (JRiver) and freedb (used by EAC) are based solely on user submissions. It is possible that someone has submitted only the first CD or that you have a different pressing in which only the first disc is identical with the previously submitted discs.

If you want to use one of the formats that are available in MJ or MC, but not in iTunes (i.e. Monkey's Audio, FLAC, Wavpack, Musepack, Ogg Vorbis and WMA), you can rip in the uncompressed AIFF format with itunes and convert the files to one of the other formats with MJ or MC. MJ14 and MC14 support AIFF tagging so you can preserve the file tags. (AIFF and Wave ID3v2 tag reading is enabled by default. If you want to write AIFF or Wave tags you must enable it in Tools > Plug-In Manager > Input > Wave & AIFF Plugin > Configure...)

P.S.

If you are speaking about the "No Thanks!: The 70s Punk Rebellion" boxset by Rhino Records I actually happen to have it somewhere. I ripped it in the MP3 format over six years ago. (The "Date Imported" value in my MC library is November 29, 2003).

I might want to re-rip it in a lossless format and submit the missing data (if not present in the online database). Most of my Audio CDs are in a storage room in big cardboard boxes, but I think this boxset should be easy to find because of its large dimensions. I'll inform in this thread if I was able to submit new data (give me a couple of hours).

During the last five years or so I have ripped new Audio CDs in a lossless format, but my goal is to re-rip also all old CDs in a lossless format (it has been a slowly advancing process), so I'd be happy to do this.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

down4jazz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 03:47:07 pm »

Very cool Alex. I'll have to work my way through Itunes. My Son put it on sometime ago, but I've never touched it. Thanks for the insight!! and I'll be looking out for your results.

down4jazz

• Junior Woodchuck
Update
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 06:21:47 pm »

Ripped in AIFF w/in Itunes and imported via JRM14. Came across with Song Title/Artist and artwork. Now I have to move it to my standard hd location. Nice so far  :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 07:57:24 pm »

I have now re-ripped and submitted the four discs. The first two discs were found automatically, the third disc needed a retry (can be invoked by right-clicking the CD icon in the "tree" and selecting "Update from online database") and the fourth disc was not present.

However, not all tracks were correctly filled and I decided submit all discs. Like you, I didn't want to type all that data (100 tracks from various artists) and I decided to use some trickery for getting the disc info appear. I ripped the discs using the single wav file + cue sheet mode, copied the tags from my old MP3 files to those cue sheets with the Mp3tag tagger and mounted the cue sheets as virtual discs with the Daemon Tools Lite optical drive emulator (one at at time). Daemon Tools emulates also the CD-Text feature and track info will appear automatically in MJ (or MC). It was easy to rip the virtual discs to separate tracks and submit data.

For adding the Album Artist and Disc Number values before the tracks are ripped you can change the column layout in the Rip > Details view a bit.

Here is what I have there:

Click to enlarge.

The Album Artist (auto) field is automatically filled with the (Multiple Artist) value if the CD has more than one Artist value, but if you want to use some other value you can type it in the separate Album Artist field (normally you should not edit the "auto" field by hand). For instance, in this case someone might want to type the name of the producer who created this compilation (Gary Steward). You can select all tracks, right-click the column you want to edit, select "Rename" and type the value.

Similarly you can add a disc number. In the screenshot I have the Disc # field empty. I have included the disc number in the Album field because the online database does not handle disc numbers. After taking the screenshot and submitting data I removed the disc numbers from the Album names and filled the number in the Disc # field. I want the boxset appear as a single multi-disc album in my library and for that reason it can have only one Album value.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 08:15:41 pm »

Now I have to move it to my standard hd location.

The converter tool has extensive file location options. You can convert to FLAC and let the tool place the resulting files correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up